Author Topic: First Art & Craft Show Today!  (Read 4036 times)

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
First Art & Craft Show Today!
« on: September 29, 2012, 07:59:13 pm »
Went to my first art and craft show today and took about 160 ornaments and a few other items. It rained all day! I was under my canopy, but, the rain kept a lot of people away. But, still I sold exactly $200.00 worth of ornaments and a few other items. Stayed about 5 hrs, so, I was happy to sell $200.00 worth! Next show will be Oct.27, so need to cut more ornaments!

Tony,aka,Toneman

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
Re: First Art & Craft Show Today!
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 09:15:37 pm »
Way to go Tony

You did much better than me today. Went to what I refer to as a bonus show. We were invited to a Alpaca Farm Open House. My wife was going to do a spinning wheel demonstration and I was to sell mostly things I have made with a "fiber motif". Well the rain was nasty all day and we never even put up the canopy or even took a thing out of the van. Event was frm 10 - 4. We left at about 12:30. Stopped had a nice lunch and when I got home I sold a puzzle for $5.  Can't complain at all! Have a big show next Saturday and hopefully weather will be nice.  Again nice sale. I have not sold that many ornamemts in the past 3 years total!
Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 09:31:23 pm »
Thanks Billy! I really don't think it was my skill, but, seemed folks just had not seen scroll work here in this area. Hopefully, my next event will be good, but, it could also be a bust!LOL But, I enjoyed meeting people and visiting with other vendors, especially the food vendors.LOL!

Tony,aka,Toneman

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2012, 10:25:19 pm »
Outstanding Tony! $200 on a rainy day. Just think how you would of done if the weather was perfect!
Dan In Southern California

Offline Barry

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2012, 11:30:56 pm »
Congratulations Tony!  A successful start. It shows you are doing good work.

Barry

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2012, 06:49:40 am »
great result, especially as it was raining .It shows you have quality merchandise to sell.
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2012, 07:13:54 am »
Congratulations on your great day! You really did good and I am very happy for you! It seems you found your niche there in your area and are selling things at prices that are good for your area. It is so hard to gauge sometimes.  So happy for your success!

Sheila :)
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

Offline Al W

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2012, 08:14:56 am »
Merry Xmas in the making....
Molon Labe

Believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear.

The government is NOT always right, or on your side.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2012, 08:20:06 am »
Congrats, I have never sold $200 at any show. Maybe the rain helped.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2012, 02:42:59 am »
Well done Tony, you did excellent for a rainy day.

Marg
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

wha

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2012, 06:23:23 pm »
Well done Tony :)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 12:16:55 pm by wha »

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2012, 11:37:24 am »
YeePeeYea fer yas Tony....  $200 in the rain is Super Great.  Must of had a lot of
Die Hards as customers.  Just a note....  If u don't mind saying....How much were
you pricing each ornament?  I have a BIG craft show next month.  Have been hard at work cutting many various designs of ornaments.  Cut 5 layers using 1/8 BB.  Stain n varnish each.  Anyway Congrats. on your craft show.  Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2012, 02:23:19 pm »
Danny, I priced the snowflakes and other fret cut ornaments at $4.00 or 3 for $10.00 and the others at $3.00 or 4 for $10.00. I realize this may be sort of cheap, but, I have to consider the economical area of the festival and it is primarily agriculure and also the economy right now. Anyway, I was well pleased and am getting ready for another Oct. 27. I was also surprised that not many snowflakes sold, mostly tree,santa related, religious, and animal figures.

Tony,aka,Toneman

Offline maritimer

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2012, 08:34:25 pm »
I just had my first 3 day show ever last weekend and only made $353.  After expenses (booth & hotel) running on the negative side....now that's not good!  Was hoping to do really well at the show and was getting a little discouraged but after talking to other vendors a lot weren't doing well....lots of people thru but just not buying.  Heard some customers say that it was to early to Christmas shop so that could have something to do with it.  I did feel better hearing that I wasn't the only one not doing well.  But aside from sales not being great I had a good time.  Chatted with the vendors around me and had a lot of laughs plus it was a weekend away...so not all was lost.  ;D

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2012, 06:31:23 am »
Hey again Tony....  You n I are on the same wave length on pricing of ornaments.
The area that you sale at is the big difference.  Have read others that live in Big Cities or states like Calif., New York, Chicago, Atlanta, Florida etc. that are able to sell at what the crafts are really worth. Been doing this same craft show for this will be my 4th year and Ornaments sell real, real well in mid November.  The time I spend in cutting, sanding, finishing, varnishing etc. I know I sell at a loss, but cutting 5 at a time and using the 1/8BB I figure at $3 to $4 each is OK to me.  Last year I had 150 and sold every one and pocketed over $300 just for them.  Anyway....  Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

SMF

Teknoromi