Author Topic: Technique...  (Read 3418 times)

IBMer

Technique...
« on: September 28, 2012, 04:27:29 pm »
I'm brand new to scroll sawing and have been watching Steve's videos.  He makes it look really easy.    I'm not finding that to be the case.  I tried to do my first cut out and my cuts look like a dog chewed on the wood.   I wonder if I'm using the wrong blade, too slow of a cutting speed..  Maybe the blade is too lose...  I'm using 1/2" thick pine to learn with.  The Saw is an entry level Porter Cable from Lowes.

John

(IBMer in Raleigh, NC)

UHMNL

Re: Technique...
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 04:43:38 pm »
Hi John,
First  question is; does your saw take pin-less blades?
If it does, make sure you have good tension, the blade should not move sideways moren then 1/8" and that is almost too much.
I like to use high speed, I feel that I have better control over the blade. High speed does not mean that you just push harder into the blade. When not enough speed you might push too hard into the blade and the blade will grab the wood instead of cutting it. Push very slow into the blade, if you don't, the blade might start cutting with a bvevel.
Go to my website and click on Selecting a blade and Q & A. Many good tips. www.mikesworkshop.com
You can always email me.
FD Mike
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 04:47:25 pm by FD Mike »

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 04:43:48 pm »
Lots of people learn things in different ways. That doesn't mean that a way is "right" or "wrong" but some people may find one technique easier than another and vice versa.  I find the best way to learn something new is to look at lots of different ways to do things, and then figure out which way is most comfortable and most successful for YOU.  It is truly a personal thing.

I hosted a class on the site www.lumberjocks.com and in it I taught many of the basics of scrolling. I certainly don't think that these are the only ways to do things, but they worked for me and I wanted to share them. You can see by the comments that followed the lessons, there are many other correct ways to do things, and people sometimes shared what worked best for them. This was beneficial to all, including myself.

My thoughts are that you should look on to as many lessons as you can, try different techniques, and find what is comfortable for you and gives you the best results.  The link to my class is here: http://lumberjocks.com/scrollgirl/blog/series/4134  in case you wish to follow along or look in just to see.

Remember, keep an open mind and also remember that there are many paths to a single destination. Taking the path you are most comfortable with will be much more fun for you and you will find the most success by following it.

Good luck! :D  

Sheila
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 06:53:20 pm »
OK...simply put....

Plenty of TENSION on the blade...make that thing go 'ping' when you pluck it.

Set saw at about 2/3's of the speed dial to start and adjust as you become comfortable.

Just GUIDE the wood into the blade and RELAX your hands and shoulders. Don't try to force anything.

There...don't you feel better already!

Oh! That thing they call a "Wood Hold Down" is a decoration and nobody needs it for safety! Pitch it and you will have more room for your hands.

Take Your time and Smell the Sawdust!!! It likely took you a year to learn to walk and that is a natural process.

~~~GB~~~

I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2012, 07:06:34 am »
I find it difficult to cut with a slow speed.  Just because you have a fast speed does not mean you have to feed the wood fast.  Let the saw do it's job.  Don't force the wood.  Also, don't try to back up to get back on your line.  Ease your way back onto it.  Check out Sheila's class on lumberjocks.  It's a good one.  I had been cutting for years and found lots of good info there.  Found better ways to do some of the stuff than I had been doing.

Like GB said, relax!  This is supposed to be fun and relaxing.  Take a deep breath and relax.  Have fun and let us know how it's going.

Mainewoods

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2012, 08:28:47 am »
John, as previously stated, let the saw do the cutting.  You're there to simply guide the wood.  As for your saw, the Porter Cable (PC) is considered by many to be the best entry level saw around.  My previous saw was the PC, and I can attest to the fact that it's a very capable saw.  However, the saw is really only as good as the blades your using.  Get a sample pack from Mike and you'll notice a significant difference in how they handle.  Other than that, it's all about technique, and that's something you'll have to learn by practicing.  Sometimes if I'm between projects, I'll just pick up a scrap piece of wood and make several cuts on it, just to help keep the skills in tune. 

Use every available source for information you can get your hands on.  Sheila has great tutorials, as does Steve and others.  Watch them and practice what they teach.  The books are great too!  I picked up a few at Barnes & Noble and studied them as well.  They were good to have there at the saw so I could reference different techniques. 

Mainly, once you've seen the techniques, practice, practice, practice.  Unless you're one of those who can instantly pick things up by watching someone else do it, practicing is the only way to get good at it!

Good Luck!!!!

Glen

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2012, 10:10:39 am »
I agree with all of the above but must add, don't let the speed at which the video teachers cut influance your cutting. To start, take it slow, set your own pace and practice. Speed will automaticaly come with experiance. The teachers are very good but, you must remember that they have been doing this for awhile and seem to just whip things out in very short order. For alot of us things go a lot slower.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline TripleB

• Simply put, I love Scrolling!
    • View Profile
    • Scroll Saw Paradise
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2012, 10:56:04 am »
Hey John, First off Welcome to the site and a new addiction! Second, Patience! None of us were great the first time we used a scroll saw. The more hours you get behind it the better you will get. The great thing about scrolling is the learning curve is short and you will be making beautiful items in no time. You don't have to be a Steve Good or Sheila Landry right away, but with time, you will probably get there.

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2012, 03:24:03 pm »
I think everyone's said it, plenty of tension on the blade and slow feed rate. Let the blade do the cutting and just ease the wood forward, you should never have to push the wood hard to get it to cut, if you do then the blade is blunt (fit new blade) or the wood is too thick for the blade in use in which case use a slightly larger blade.
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Offline Reaper

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2012, 11:37:14 pm »
Everyone above gave good advice.Just relax and enjoy the quiet time between you and the saw and you will do just fine.Remember this is a fun hobby and I'm sure everyone us cursed a few times, but that didn't stop us.I'm certain you will get the hang of it.Welcome.... Dave

Offline Barry

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2012, 11:39:49 pm »
Everybody is giving you good advice John.  The more you scroll the better you will get and the more enjoyable it becomes.  Slow your speed at first and let the saw do the cutting.  When your scrolling becomes tedious or you're getting tired, stop, take a break and do something else for a while.  Good luck.

Barry

Offline Fab4

• Go For It
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2012, 06:54:49 am »
Hi John:
Check which direction the teeth on your blade are going
They should be pointing down
All good advice given
Fab4
Paul (Fab4)

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2012, 02:11:29 am »
You have had plenty of advice John so I can't add much more except that you have to learn and it is not as easy as most think, like any hobby trade what ever you have to learn
Jimbo

SMF

Teknoromi