Author Topic: Cutting Portraits.... :+}  (Read 2737 times)

Offline Danny

• View Profile
Cutting Portraits.... :+}
« on: September 24, 2012, 11:12:50 am »
Well I have been Scrolling for many years and have  big inventory or various portraits.
Can remember way, way back yonder with the leaning times.  I have learned and have always used 1/4" stock.  Always cut stack of two.  Finished cutting a portrait of my Mother last month and wanted to have copies for sister n brothers and myself, so I used 1/8" BB.  All FOUR copies came out OUTSTANDING.  Of course its due to using Flying Dutchman Blades.  Yea!  My Question....  What is the preference among everyone on this subject?                   Danny  :+}

P.S.  Oh yea....  In my feelings I think the 1/8 BB looks much better when framed than
        any of the portraits I have used the 1/4 BB. 

Danny  :+}

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
Re: Cutting Portraits.... :+}
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 12:11:01 pm »
Dan...my blade of choice is the FD New Spiral 2/0....
I love them for portrait work.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 12:23:14 pm »
I agree with you Danny. Four layers of Baltic Birch. I make sure the table is perpendicular to the blade, and all four layers come out perfectly.
Unfortunately, I still have not been able to master spirals like GB, So I use mostly Olsen 2/0R blades. I use FD UR1 for the larger areas but the 2/0 blades work good for me for the small detail areas.
Dan In Southern California

daliclimbs

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 02:53:31 pm »
Thickness will often depend on the subject and the recipient. Sometimes I like to use 1/4 on projects that I feel need a little definition. But I always stack cut! 4 deep for 1/8" and 2 for 1/4". I generally use FD spirals but on smaller portraits I like to use FD ultra #1. I can effectively use spirals but when I can I would much rather use ultra reverse for good crisp lines. Then I finish with BLO and a final finish of deft.

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 05:10:43 pm »
like dg, I use mainly FD UR #1 blades as I cannot get on with spirals (you cant get a crisp point/corner with a spiral) for really small areas I also use the Olsen 2/0 R blades, as you can see by the pictures I can get some nice cuts with those blades.
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

rob roy

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 06:12:23 pm »
Hi Keefie. Those are two beautiful pieces of work,you must have the patience of a saint. Thanks for showing them.
Rob Roy.

Offline Barry

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 12:47:54 am »
I prefer the 1/8 BB over the 1/4.  And I usually use a FD UR#1.  The most I have stacked is three.  As dg said make sure your blade is at 90 degrees.

I have never got the feel for using spiral blades.  There are certain patterns that seem to require them.  I sometimes have to adjust the pattern to fit my skill level.  I have been scrolling for some time and consider myself a decent scroller.  But spirals just frustrate me and I am all about a relaxing hobby.  :)

Barry   

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 06:05:54 am »
FD new spiral for me.  I only use the 2/0 size. 

Offline edward

• View Profile
    • eds scrollwork
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 08:54:31 am »
 I use FD 2/0 for all my portraits, can't get use to spiral.  Edward

Offline maritimer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2012, 08:59:07 pm »
I use 1/8" oak ply and stack cut 4-5 and use Olsen 2/OR.  I have some spiral blades but haven't tried them yet...it's to find the time to have a practise day! 

countryscroller

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2012, 10:03:10 pm »
Since I got my my Dewalt 788 blade change in and out was so simple that I became hooked on doing a lot of portraits. My blade of choice is the #3 SR. 

ChuckD

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2012, 02:25:24 pm »
On portraits you do not have to be stuck using only one kind of blades.  I have used 2/0 spirals, # 5 new spirals, #3 UR, and #7 UR all on the same portraits.  All Flying Dutchman of course.  Here is one I used all four on.

countryscroller

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2012, 03:11:33 pm »
Great portrait Chuck!

Offline BigPete

• Bonnie Scotland !
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2012, 03:04:28 am »
I am with GB on this one as i mostly use FD new spiral 2/0  ! some of my portraits are quite big so it would be impossible to use anything else ! I do agree with Keefie about not being able to get a crisp point / corner with a spiral but if he would like to let me know where he got the owl pattern i will cut it with a spiral and post it as i think you could also do it justice with a spiral:D
Great cuttings Keefie and also ChuckD Really awesome ...Pete
War does not determine who is right - Only who is left !

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2012, 03:51:56 am »
Thanks for the comments Pete. The owl pattern is "BI068 Elf owl" and I got it from Sue Mey "Scrollsawartist" hope that helps.
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

SMF

Teknoromi