Author Topic: Every Scroller should read this!  (Read 2848 times)

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
Every Scroller should read this!
« on: September 12, 2012, 12:44:47 pm »
Sheila Landry's blog post of Sept. 12, 2012....

http://www.sheilalandrydesigns.com/blog/post/3489013#.UFBkchbE27Y.facebook

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: Every Scroller should read this!
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 03:53:55 pm »
I know the Co. in question and have always wondered what I would get if I ordered from them. Any time I see a pattern that I like, I go to the original pattern maker and buy from them. I have purchased from Sheila on several occasions and was always pleased with her patterns. I have also purchased from Sue Mey and Diana Thompson and others without any problems. Now I know to stay away from the Co. in question!
P.S. I think GB unwittingly gave us the name of the co.!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 03:57:13 pm by dgman »
Dan In Southern California

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 04:41:36 pm »
Dan!

Shhhhhhhhhh!

<BG>

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Mainewoods

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 04:42:06 pm »
This is exactly why I try to find the designer of a pattern when I see something I like.  When I first started doing this scrolling thing, I saw Sheila's patterns for sale on one of the distributor's web sites and asked here if this was kosher.  I was told at the time that all was well with it, but still chose to order direct from Sheila (et al).  I kind of figured the designers were probably getting only a percentage of the distributor's sales, and I'd rather have my money go to the person(s) who put the real work into creating the pattern.  I've only ordered one pattern from a distributor because I couldn't figure out who made it.

I hope for Sheila and Keith's sake that scrollers are taking note of this and spending their money accordingly.  I get annoyed by companies whose only goal is to make a buck by any means possible.
Good luck working this out Sheila!

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 12:38:04 am »
Like the rest of you guys I go direct to the source whenever possible.  For one thing, if you need help it saves steps.  If this outfit doesn't treat the artists properly they are eventually going to bring on their own demise.  We know you Sheila and we know who is in the right!
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 02:50:05 am »
I told Sheila there was no friends in business and no loyalty with employees and I think every one knows  why, you have to treat each day as it comes and go with instinct
Jimbo   

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 07:07:19 am »
Thank you all very much for your support.  It means so much to both Keith and I.  We try our best to make the best patterns we can.  We want to be able to continue doing that for a long time. :)

Sheila
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2012, 07:23:14 am »
The hard part is knowing who the designer is when you order from the catalog.  Over the years, I have become familiar with the different designers "styles" and can narrow down who designed it and go to their websites.  I have narrowed down which catalog is guilty of this and if I knew exactly which one it was, I would NEVER do business with them again.  (If you know who, please send me a private Message.) 

For those of you who have never ordered one of Sheila Landry's patterns, I urge you to do so.  You not only receive a first rate pattern, she provides detailed instruction from beginning to end of how to do it.  I have learned so much from her over the years.

For the beginner scroller, you can acheive great things with this kind of tutorial and should not be afraid to try advanced things with the right pattern.

Mainewoods

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2012, 07:55:09 am »
The hard part is knowing who the designer is when you order from the catalog.  Over the years, I have become familiar with the different designers "styles" and can narrow down who designed it and go to their websites.

Another good hint at who designed it is frequently included in the distributor's pattern number;  i.e. ###SH for Sheila's, or ###MW for Mike Williams, or ####MS for Mick Shambro....you get the idea.

As a scroller, and not a designer, I just hope this gets worked out, because I'd hate to see any scroller limited in his/her sources for getting patterns, and if Sheila and Keith can't keep making patterns, we scrollers will lose some great talent!

Hint hint hint hint hint  ;)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 07:07:04 pm by Mainewoods »

daliclimbs

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2012, 08:24:38 am »
That's terrible Sheila. I have ordered quite a few patterns from Sheila. In fact I ordered two sets yesterday. Her patterns are always top notch.. Just another instance of big business showing their true colors! The actual people who put care and talent into the work are the ones who come out on the losing end. Sorry again Sheila, I hope you can get This sorted out.

mlwmerk

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2012, 10:43:20 am »
Hi Sheila - I was prompted to read the above conversations about your troubles with one of your Wholesalers.  Name the SOB.  I'll boycott them.

If it is any concellation, I checked out your website and was very impressed.  I added it to my list of favorites. 

I'm generally not into Blogs, my attention span is to short to read a whole page, but I was very interested in you online catalog of very interesting items.

I'll continue to check it out and probably will order some patterns as the need arises.

"Iligitmi non-carbarumdum est" = Don't let the bastards wear you down!

Walt in CT

PoppaRob

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2012, 11:25:29 am »
hello all,

I just thought that there is/might be a copy right infringement possibility here, has she looked into that,

I know some of the graphics that Miss Linda uses will sure sue in a heart beat if caught using without permission or paying for it,

I will help spread the word of this if she decides to do something along those lines, boy-cot,

Poppa Rob

PS: thought i would look for info on this which might be of use, go here and look at #4 as a start for what you might want or need to do, very good suggestion, well I thought they were,

http://www.avivadirectory.com/blogger-law/
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 11:35:19 am by PoppaRob »

Offline bhenr99

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2012, 03:07:45 pm »
Designers plant the seeds for our creations. I know myself that I have to depend on designers patterns to make what I make. For a company to take the talents of designers and change them and charge a higher price for their efforts is a shame. People should stop buying from these type of companies and buy direct from the designers. When they loose business they make wake and have respect for all the efforts of designers. I would hate for any designer as I have seen some give up as designer. I hope these companies read the post on all the sites about this matter and clean up their act. A special thanks to any designer who reads this for all your hard work.

Bob

SMF

Teknoromi