Author Topic: Which Ornaments Sell Best?  (Read 3452 times)

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
Which Ornaments Sell Best?
« on: September 10, 2012, 04:40:07 pm »
Cutting ornaments for an art and craft fair and was wanting feedback from you experienced scrollers who sell them. Which sell best, the fancy snowflakes, traditional santa or reindeer designs, religious themes, etc.?I am making several different types, but, did not want to take a lot designs that do not sell well.

Tony,aka,Toneman

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
Re: Which Ornaments Sell Best?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 06:28:18 pm »
Tony if I could predict what the public will buy I would be the richest retailer alive...
Have an assortment and what sells best this time I will guarantee will not be the best seller next time.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 07:40:02 pm »
Exactly Right GB!!! If you stock up on something you will have them forever  :D
I'm from North Dakota

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 08:31:03 pm »
My best sellers are the ones I didn,t cut. Someone always asks for something I don't have. I actually do better with small ornament size crosses than  traditional type ornaments.

On a side note,  I cut several different cross patterns and have taken to giving one  or two to a special lady here in our park.  One is a very fragile cross and I cut it from  1/8 Baltic Birch. When I went to give it to her, she was on her deck with her daughter getting her hair cut.  The daughter remarked how beautiful the cross was and that she knew her Mom would enjoy it.  I told her I would see about getting one to her and I did a few days later.  Last week the Lady's husband passed away. (We knew he did not have much longer). Funeral was last week.  We saw the Lady tonight riding around the park on our golf cart  She told me her daughter thought the cross was so special that she put in her Fathers hand for it to be buried with him.  I told her I was happy she did that but was really at a loss for words.  Guess now I need to make another for the Daughter

Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 10:53:49 pm »
I know how humble you must feel Billy! That is a beautiful story! God bless you!

Tony,aka,Toneman

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 11:05:50 pm »
That kind of 'incident' usually leaves you speechless and feeling all warm and fuzzy!

She will really appreciate another one!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 11:09:06 pm »
Hey Tony, I sell many types and sizes, and priced from $3 to $20 depending on size and complexity. Make what appeals to you and take them all with you. You just never know what will sell! One thing is for sure, the ones that sell best are made from hardwoods and finished with lacquer. Folks also like a deal. For example $5 each or two for $8 or something like that. What doesn't sell will make very nice gifts for friends and family!
Dan In Southern California

daliclimbs

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 03:06:30 pm »
I find that my best sellers are usually the ones I least expect and vise versa. You Just can't tell what a particular person will like. I always have a very eclectic mix ranging from mind numbingly simple to very ornate. I find its the best way to cover all bases. I have attempted to keep a log book of which ornaments were best. But I can honestly say that it did no good. The top sellers completely change every year. So now I just wing it. I do highly recommended using different woods. One person may pass on a specific ornament but get the exact same style in a different wood.

Offline maritimer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2012, 09:50:37 pm »
I sell my ornaments for $4 and make a little of everything and use only hardwood (maple and red oak) finished with varnish.  I don't offer deals as ornaments are a good seller for me....I've had people buy 5-7 at a time which is pretty exciting to me.

Offline troy_curtis

• No matter where you go...there you are.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 02:09:43 am »
My guess is to have a bit of everything. But I am also looking at a few that have to do with support for the military. I know there are a lot of people who love and support our veterans. So in my collection I would have a few of them as well. Let us know what you sell best when you do sell them.

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2012, 03:10:37 am »
Just had a 2 day craft fair and it was the Christmas tree design that sold the best in my part of the the world
Jimbo

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2012, 08:33:59 am »
I have been told that ornaments do not sell well at all.  I have not tried making any because of this.  I do find that seasonal stuff does not sell well for me and I do not want to hold things for a year or two to sell them.
20"Hegner Polymax-3 (2008)
25"Hegner Multimax-3 (1986)

No PHD, just a  DD 214

Offline edward

• View Profile
    • eds scrollwork
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2012, 11:18:14 am »
 I sell my ornaments for $4 ea, made out of 1/4" oak, very rarely do BB, because I hate to paint. All kinds of  Christmas ornaments sell, also you might want to try some Army, Navy Airforce, and Marine Ornaments sell well, try some Golf, police and fireman ornaments also sell well. And also depends on the state where you live, what is popular. Hope this  helps.  Edward

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2012, 03:01:44 pm »
Gotta throw in my 2 cents worth....  Last 2 years at the Only craft show I do I have had the Good Luck to sell almost all the ornaments I take.  Assortment is important.
Some spray painted and some just the oil/varnish.  Simple circle with one word inside like NOEL I sold for @2.00....  Ones with a little more cutting involved I sold for $3.00.
Didn't have any like I will this year thats way more complicated and time consuming than said above.  I will start off asking $5.00.  Had 147 various colors, sizes and shapes last year and sold a lil over $200.00.  Most all were a split between 1/8 bb
and Lowes 1/4" birch ply. and good ole 1/4" Pine.  Anyway I choose not to spend so much monies on the good hard wood as I would be forced to charge a higher price.
I think down here (there) in Tennessee there are a lot of peoples that just don't have that extra buck to throw away.  Danny  :+} 
Danny  :+}

canadasgall

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2012, 04:29:23 pm »
i always have xmas ornaments at any show i do they start at 5 dollars and up they are always a good seller.i always have a good variety and they sell year round.

SMF

Teknoromi