Author Topic: compound cutting  (Read 3250 times)

Offline slowcutter

• View Profile
compound cutting
« on: September 10, 2012, 01:09:45 pm »
Do any of you do compound cutting?
I am thinking of trying it,to have some thing new for the Farmers Market next year.
Sent for 2 books by Diana Thompson,hope it was not a waist of money.
If anyone has free patterns to spare ( thanks in advance).

Jack

JP

S - ee
M - iracles
I - n
L - ife
E - veryday

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: compound cutting
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 02:53:21 pm »
Hey Jack, I am currently cutting about 100 of Diana's mini bird house ornaments. I sold about that many last year! The books you ordered will have all the directions you will need. For compound cutting, I am using Flying Dutchman #5 polar blades.
You might want to build a jig to help hold the piece while cutting. Steve has one on his blog: http://www.stevedgood.com/3djig.pdf
Make sure you use clear packing tape wrapped all the way around the piece and make sure the tape is tight to the pattern or saw dust will get under the tape and obscure the cutting line.
Good luck and have fun!
Dan In Southern California

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 03:43:02 pm »
I have made "Salt and pepper shakers" with my scroll saw. This is the first of several designs.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

ChuckD

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 11:39:56 pm »
One of the scrollers Magazines had a bunch of her patterns.  The money you spent on her books are not wasted.  I have made about 300 of her birdhouses and the place that sells them (for charity) is asking for more.  They sell for $10 apiece.  Fun and easy to make.  I use a wood clamp to hold them together while cutting.  Good Luck :)

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 06:49:55 am »
Compound cuts are a lot of fun.  It is always amazing to see the final product come out of the wood.  Every year I try to find a different deer to compound cut for my father.  I give him "a couple of Bucks" for Christmas.  He looks forward to the new ones every year.

Stravides

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 07:49:42 am »
I have made the Votive holder and the Hummingbird on a Flower and one of the most important things I can state is 90 Degrees or nothing....  Unless the cut requires anything other than pure perpendicular make sure that blade and table are perfectly aligned.

Also make sure your medium is squared on the 2 bases you are cutting on, either are out you can get unpredictable results.  i.e right angles are your friends :)

a couple of degrees out can make a big difference to your work, especially when making thinner items (leaves/petals) or intricate items (animals etc)

HTH :) Ken

Offline slowcutter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 10:40:43 am »
Thanks all
Looking foreword to getting the books.
Can't be-leave it takes USPS 7 days to get books from OH to OR.
My daughter & son-in-law are long haul team drivers & go from NY to CA in two days. 
JP

S - ee
M - iracles
I - n
L - ife
E - veryday

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 04:44:38 pm »
Jack i do a bit of compound cutting and i really enjoy it until something goes wrong.
Dianne's books are great you will not regret buying them.
On the length of time for the USPS, try getting something sent the NZ it takes from 8 to 12 weeks and that's on a good day. ::)

***Merlin*** 
Try not! Do,
or do not
There is no try

Yoda "Empire Strikes Back" 1980

daliclimbs

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2012, 05:13:19 pm »
I've done quite a bit of compound cutting. It can be both very rewarding and sometimes annoying  ;). But in the end the items always have a "WOW" factor that really grabs peoples attention. You wont go wrong with Your purchases either. Enjoy..

Mainewoods

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2012, 06:07:41 pm »

Can't be-leave it takes USPS 7 days to get books from OH to OR.

Book rate is about the slowest way to send something with USPS!  But it's also very cheap!  Want fast, then pay the extra for Priority service.

Offline maritimer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2012, 09:39:13 pm »
I too make the bird houses and also make the Angels by Diana.  Both are fun to make and so cute finished.  I don't use a jig.  I had tried using clamps as Diana suggests but I find I have better control if I just hold it with my hands.

Hey Dan, just wondering what kind of wood you use?  Most of what I use is hardwood, but have used western red cedar which certainly cuts a lot faster than hardwood.  Where do you buy the small screw hooks?  The company I was getting them from can no longer get them.  Went to place an order on Friday and found out....not good timing.  I'm almost out of hooks and have a big show in a couple weeks!

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2012, 10:35:24 pm »
Hey Dan, just wondering what kind of wood you use?  Most of what I use is hardwood, but have used western red cedar which certainly cuts a lot faster than hardwood.  Where do you buy the small screw hooks?  The company I was getting them from can no longer get them.  Went to place an order on Friday and found out....not good timing.  I'm almost out of hooks and have a big show in a couple weeks!
Hey Donna, I use whatever thick wood I have on hand. This year I have used Pine, Walnut, Mahogany, Ash, alder, Mulberry, Oak, Sapele and ceder. And for the birds I am using Walnut, Mahogany, Yellowheart, Purpleheart and Redheart.
For the screw eyes, I have been getting them at the local Hardware store chain called Do it Center. Here is another source: http://www.woodworkingparts.com/categories/Screw-Eyes/
Dan In Southern California

Offline don in brooklin on

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2012, 10:58:22 pm »
I love doing compound cutting as it is fun to see what pops out.

I have bought plans from Diana so I could have all the different bird houses and the angles.

I get my screw eyes from Lee Valley as it works out to about 2 cents each but you have to add on shipping and handling.

I am lucky that a Lee Valley store is fairly close and I go there every so often.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware/page.aspx?p=53693&cat=3,40914,50426,53693

Don

SMF

Teknoromi