Author Topic: New 788 problem  (Read 3122 times)

Offline golfman

• View Profile
New 788 problem
« on: August 29, 2012, 11:00:47 am »
I have had my new Dewalt for a week and have tried differnt tensions speed and blades. I am cutting half inch BB when i go to a long curve I cant stay on line the blade seems to twist this never happend on my old craftsman. there is some front to back movement on the blade about an eighth of an inch could this be my problem? There is a repair center nearby should I take it in or is there something I can do? I will be thankful for any suggestions I am getting frustrated.

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
Re: New 788 problem
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 11:48:25 am »
Other than tension, the first thing I would check is to make sure the blade is in with the cut on the down stroke. I have a 788 and with these bad eyes I have done that ( more than once)  and totally unable to follow any kind of line. 
Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 02:49:14 pm »
To make sure you have proper tension, pluck the blade like a guitar string. You want to hear a high "plink". If not then re-tension the blade. If you can't get it high enough, remove the tension, push down on the upper arm. If you see a bow in the blade, loosen the top thumb screw till the bow disappears, then tighten the thumb screw and re-tension the blade till you get the high plink.
If you lose tension while you are sawing, the blade is slipping in the blade clamp. Clean the ends of the blades with a folded piece of sand paper to remove the oil from the blade.
On Steve's blog: http://www.scrollsawworkshop.blogspot.com/ There is a free download with the correct sound you are looking for. It is in the left hand collum. Scroll down to "Free software". This will give you the high "Plink" you are looking for!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 02:57:39 pm by dgman »
Dan In Southern California

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 04:48:42 pm »
1.. Dull blade.

2.. Blade upside down.

3.. Bent blade.

4.. not enough tension.

5.. Pushing (feeding) wood too hard or too fast.

6.. Trying to make the saw go where you want it to by pushing sideways instead of turning the wood.

7.. When I have a bit of trouble like this, I stop, relax, look at where the line goes, restart the saw and let it  do the work. All I have to do is guide the line into the blade. It is not rocket science or a strength test.  ;D

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 07:01:52 am »
Ditto to everything Dan and Roger said.  It sounds more like tension to me.  Take a deep breath and start over.

Offline golfman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 02:45:48 pm »
I took the advise of you wise scrollers. Put on my favorite music got a new blade used sand paper cleaned both ends installed it with the torque lever all the way over as far as it goes.Took a deep breath and made saw dust for six hours and had fun doing it what a relief. Thank you all very much   Tom

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 07:45:42 am »
Sometimes you've got to take a step backwards.  When you are frustrated, it seems your mistakes get bigger and bigger the more you try.

Mainewoods

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2012, 08:16:13 am »
...installed it with the torque lever all the way over as far as it goes.

Almost sounds like you might have an issue with the tensioning rod if you have to crank it all the way up to get proper tension.  3.5 on mine is just right.  I'd be snapping blades left and right if I tightened it that much!...and I have yet to break a blade on this saw.  Just my opinion, but something doesn't seem quite right.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2012, 10:44:45 am »
I have always cranked it up all the way. I have never broken a blade from high tension. If you can get that high plink at only 3 1/2 your lucky!
Dan In Southern California

Offline golfman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2012, 11:54:58 am »
On scrollsaws.com they have a page Dewalt tune up. If i have any more tension problems i can tighten the tension rod but for now its working great

Offline pieter

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2012, 10:24:04 pm »
I always tension to the max, have never had a broken blade due to tension.

Pieter

SMF

Teknoromi