Author Topic: Criticism needed  (Read 1494 times)

Offline crusty59

• View Profile
    • Wood Crafts by Chris
Criticism needed
« on: August 22, 2012, 08:50:03 am »
Hello all. I just wanted to ask if you would take a look at my website. I am back to scrolling again, so I rebuilt my website, did something new and I need input as to whether it's user friendly. I respect the opinions of everyone here, that is why I am asking. I am not trying to sell anything to you. You guys are talented enough. with what you do. Thanks you in advance and I look forward to your criticisms.
www.WoodCraftsbyChris.com

mlwmerk

Re: Criticism needed
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 09:14:25 am »
Nice site.  You make great stuff.  I recognize many of your projects since I have tried them too. 

I never could get my "clock" to work.  Maybe some day I'll try to make one again.

The only "nit" I would pick is that I personally have a difficult time reading the narratives due to the "font" you have chosen.  Also the light blue on a black background is not easy for me either.  Therefore I didn't read them all completely.  But these are my personal opinions.  Since you asked.

OBTW I congratulate you on living your life to the fullest with MS.  I won't complain ever again about my minor maladies of aging.

Good luck   Walt in CT

Offline Kepy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 09:20:47 am »
I enjoyed your site.  I also had some difficulty with the blue on black but that may have only been my eyes.  Have an appointment next week to get new glasses so maybe then it will show up better.  The projects were very slow to load but again that may be my system rather than the page.  Over all it is a very nice site.  Best wishes in your endeavor.

xavierot

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 10:01:38 am »
Nice site! Very intresting! Looks good!

Offline slowcutter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 10:38:03 am »
You need to make each page its own with a back button to My Page.
IT will give a better viewing area so that you don't have to scroll up & down to view the larger picture.
JP
JP

S - ee
M - iracles
I - n
L - ife
E - veryday

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 01:29:48 pm »
Crusty, I hesitate to make these comments, even though you asked, as I don't want to be seen as attacking your web site.  Believe me, I'm not.  I've also been in the position of requesting comments on a site.  Having said that, these are criticisms, just suggestions..

You did a lot of work to showcase your work, and it deserves to be shown.  It is very impressive.  I do have some comments on your site - some are rather technical and some are style.  (Take the style with a grain of salt as my wife says I have no sense of style.)

I agree that the text should have more contrast with the background and that there should be a "Back", and perhaps a "Home" button on each page.

The navigation images on each page are inventive, especially a cruise ship for the shipping link.  Even so, I would make the word Shipping, etc., visible without having to mouse over the link.  It tells people that the image is a link and they don't have to try each one to see where they are going.

The pictures on your projects page could be optimized to load faster.  Kepy is right, the project page loads very slowly, mainly because there are many images and the images are scaled by the browser.  For example, the first thumbnail is downloaded at 238px x 276px and is scaled to 75x75 by the browser.  If you make it actually 75x75, it will require only 8% of the bandwidth required for the 238x276 image.  Applying this to all the thumbnails will definitely decrease download time.

On the contacts and shipping pages, I would consider removing the mouse-over images  If you happen to mouse over them, the contact or shipping info is obscured.

Crusty, these comments are made with the best of intentions and are not meant to be a personal attack.  You did a great job on the website but sometimes an outsider sees things that the creator doesn't see.

Keep up the good work,
Jim
Using a Delta 40-690 in the Montreal, Quebec (Canada) area

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 02:20:39 am »
great site, navigates easy with just a few clicks.

my 2 cents:
I would change the font type. all the curls on the capital letters and so makes a piece with a lot of text like your "my story" page, kind like flowing in to each other.
as a Dutchman English isn't my native language and therefore reading is easier in what I call "normal"  fonts.
I also find the letters a bit blurry, so the contrast of the fonts (maybe it is the color scheme black/blue) makes that I have to concentrate real hard to focus on the text.

maybe you could link the pictures on the "my story" page to bigger onces, so that when I click on them they will be available in a higher format.

further no comments looking good!

Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

SMF

Teknoromi