Author Topic: Bowl Sander  (Read 2613 times)

Offline lwilli

• View Profile
Bowl Sander
« on: August 20, 2012, 01:41:59 pm »
I was hoping someone could offer some advice on a sanding system for bowl sanding. I would appreciate any feedback regarding different manufacturers and methods used. Thanks in advance for your time!

Louis
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers, 1897-1935

Offline Barry

• View Profile
Re: Bowl Sander
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 12:51:37 am »
Hi Louis! 

Bowls take a lot of sanding.  I think the best way to sand them is with a spindle sander.  Steve has a video where he tours his shop and it show a spindle sander in action.  You may already be familiar with them.  The round spindles come in various diameters and they go up and down as well as turning.  They are a great machine for scrollers, very versatile.  It is best to get a spindle sander with a movable base.  It allows you to sand at different angles (like most good scrollsaws).  Well worth the extra price, if you can swing it.

The other way is good old elbow grease.  Sanding by hand is tiring and with bowls it is even worse.

Barry

Offline lwilli

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 06:32:55 am »
Thanks Barry for your reply the information is very helpful.

Louis
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers, 1897-1935

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 06:58:07 am »
hey Louis what about a sanding mop?i don't have one but i think they be good for sanding bowls.

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 09:26:33 am »
I use a spindle sander. Remember to sand the inside of the bowl before you glue the bottom on.

Offline lwilli

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 10:07:33 am »
Todd, that is an excellent thought. MrsN, it pays to ask questions because I can see where gluing the bottom on first could present a challenge to sand the inside. I thank you both for your input.

Louis

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 01:14:35 pm »
Thanks mrsn, I have planned to do a bowl soon and I would not have thought of sanding the inside before glueing on the bottom - but it makes so much sense now you said it lol.
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

bzeyher

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 02:27:42 pm »
I came across this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xl-Dd7rDsA&feature=relmfu about an inflatable sanding ball. I did not try it but is looks like a good idea.

Billy

SMF

Teknoromi