Author Topic: New blades  (Read 3832 times)

Dave W

New blades
« on: August 10, 2012, 02:23:53 am »
Ok, the latest from my kiln-temperature garage...Ordered a large batch of Flying Dutchman blades as per the advice of pretty much everyone on here.  Before I even get into the actual details of the blade performance, I want to mention how fast my order was shipped to me.  Within 2 hours of my request, Mike had replied to confirm my order (and to point out an error in my favor with my totals).  I ordered my new blades on Monday and received them on Wednesday.  What more can I say about that.

As to the blade performance, I must admit that I am impressed.  I am a skeptic at heart, and tried to approach this with an open mind.  I was surprised at the difference between the FD blades and the Olson's that I was using.  While I am VERY raw at scrolling, I can appreciate good engineering in any facet.  I linked a pic that sort of illustrates what I am talking about.  The box on the right has a 3/4" pine body.  That body took 2 Olson's (9 tpi) to finish.  The unfinished box on the left is 1.5" cherry.  The one blade you see (FD-HD tpi 10) cut the entire body, plus looks able to cut more.  This is not a knock on Olson (they did have the perk of offering Reverse Tooth on their heavy blade), but just an observation that I wanted to pass onto those just getting started.

Anyway, thanks for the heads up and happy cutting!

https://picasaweb.google.com/101297315339888703268/August102012#5774920011708391154
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 02:27:04 am by Dave W »

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
Re: New blades
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 03:59:08 am »
FD blades are the best I have found, and as you say the service from Mike is excellent. FD do make ultra reverse blades which have every 3rd tooth reversed and leave a finish so good there is almost no need to sand afterwards.
I did find the link to your pictures kept coming up with "page not found"
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 09:44:11 am »
I have tried to cut some flower pot hangers out of 1 1/2" pine and the blades I am using will not cut! So, I have ordered a dz of the FD heavy duty to test....will see. ;D

Tony,aka,Toneman

Offline spiderman

• Spiderman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 11:40:34 am »
I got the FD-Polor they don't cut worth a D@@M. I don't think mike sent me the right blade I order the FD-Polor skip tooth #7 #5 #3 and they don't cut  1 1/2 x 1 1/2 for 3D cutouts.  If mike pulling a joke on me its' not funny at all.  The wood i'm using is basswood and i see that steve can cut fast in that type of wood with a FD-SR #3 blade. So what gives.....  Going to order a set of blades from www.pswood.com.  call supersharp blades. The well send you samples Beth is really nice.
SPIDERMAN THE KING OF THE WEB

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 12:04:09 pm »
Well Mr C-ghost...I use the FD Polar blades in all sizes to cut everything from basswood to maple and hickory and they breeze right through and cut nice and straight.

So that puts a positive on the table to your negative.

AND I seriously doubt Mike would ever try to trick or pull a joke on a customer given the tremendous service he provides to everyone else in this group!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline spiderman

• Spiderman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 12:43:01 pm »
Well Mr C-ghost...I use the FD Polar blades in all sizes to cut everything from basswood to maple and hickory and they breeze right through and cut nice and straight.
So that puts a positive on the table to your negative.

GB
Well The FD polar I guess i miss spell it. Well the ones I got they don't cut all that great.  The Olson match speed #3 SR blade cut right though the basswood very easy. so I don't know if I just got a bad batch of them or what. I also notice on some of the FD-SR blade some of them or shaper then others.

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 01:38:36 pm »
I only use FD blades and only order from Mike. Just go an order in last week and once again superior service, and the quality is next to none. I have almost 2 gross of other blades, mostly Dremel and Vermont-American that I can';t even give away.  I use them to convert others to FD. Give them a couple to try and them give a FD blade. Usually works very quickly.
Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

UHMNL

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 02:14:28 pm »
CGhost,
You got the right blades. Do have enough tension, speed? Do you push too hard into the blade?
The Polar blades have a burr on the right side, just like most other blades and will cut to the right. You have to move the wood some degree to the right to stay on the line.
I have no complains about the Polar blades.
FD Mike

ChuckD

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 02:32:12 pm »
I have used Polars a lot and no complaints.  I also use the ultra Reverse blades and very smooth.  I won't even mention the service that we get from Mike.  It is bad to get the blades the day before you order them. :)  Well, maybe not that good, but great.  Thank you Mike.

Offline Barry

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2012, 12:09:40 am »
Mike has the fastest turnaround time of anyone.  The FD blades are my favorite and you can't beat the service from Mike's Workshop.

Barry

Offline spiderman

• Spiderman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2012, 04:25:40 pm »
CGhost;
I think ur mistaken... there is no such thing as a FD-Polar skip tooth #7, 5 or 3 blade.
You better go back to Mikes website and look at the descriptions of blades for sale.
Do you have the blades in upside down, backwards??

yes there is DUDE.
There is FD-POLAR FD-P  NUMBER 2/0  UP TO FD-P NUMBER 9  AND IT SAID SKIP TOOTH.  LOOK TO ME THAT YOU NEED GLASSES DUDE.

Offline spiderman

• Spiderman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2012, 04:30:43 pm »
CGhost,
You got the right blades. Do have enough tension, speed? Do you push too hard into the blade?
The Polar blades have a burr on the right side, just like most other blades and will cut to the right. You have to move the wood some degree to the right to stay on the line.
I have no complains about the Polar blades.
FD Mike

Well I might not have enough tesion  on it but I run my dewalt dw788 at top speed and I set the tenson to like number 2 and have depen on the number of the blade i use. Does the high the number need more tenson then the smaller blades?

marmoh

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2012, 04:50:24 pm »
Cyberghost,  it seems to me, that if you had what you thought was a problem with your order from FD Mike, it would have been more polite to have sent him a personal message than to imply to everyone that he sent you wrong blades on purpose.  Mr. Mike is a pleasure to deal with and the FD blade is a good product.  Marion

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2012, 05:17:43 pm »
I have never had a problem with FD Mikes blades, I have tried most of them and prefer UR blades and mainly use a #5, these blades suit my style of cutting and really you should try the different style to see which suits the best, this is why there is such a big variety
Jimbo

Offline TheMelster

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2012, 07:34:22 pm »
It appears I was mistaken, not u.
GO PACK GO

SMF

Teknoromi