Author Topic: Puzzle Help  (Read 1187 times)

Offline Reaper

• View Profile
Puzzle Help
« on: August 04, 2012, 10:58:39 pm »
I made a few puzzles today.I used poplar and they seem to be ok.Now do I have to finish them or leave them natural.If I want to paint them, just the front right?Do I need to use puzzle blades? I used a number 7 and they seem to slide out good.Any help will be great....Dave

Offline julief

• View Profile
Re: Puzzle Help
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 07:20:39 am »
I dip mine in Danish oil.  If you want to paint them, paint the top only.  If you leave them natural, oil from the hands will eventually make them appear dirty.
Puzzle blades are very fine and I only use them for 1/8" and 1/4" jigsaw puzzles (usually photo puzzles).  In thicker wood, they are very hard to control because they are so thin. 

Offline edward

• View Profile
    • eds scrollwork
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 11:29:52 am »
 I usually dip mine in danish oil, then spray with shellac. I never paint puzzles other then using pine.I use #3 #5 depeding on the thickness of wood.  Edward

Offline MOONIE

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 09:36:58 pm »
I've been using #5 for 3/4 inch stock and always soak in BLO/Mineral Spirits for 5 or 10 minutes.   
MOONIE

daliclimbs

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 12:41:16 am »
I too only use actual FD puzzle blades on thin photo puzzles. Anything else I will use a 3 or 5 ultra reverse. I generally finish mine with a thin coat of shellac, and occasionally Danish. I have used butcher block oil on some puzzles intended for kids. That way I had a nice food safe finish. I never paint the back of my puzzles either and it seems that it has never effected sales.

SMF

Teknoromi