Author Topic: Infected with kayak mania  (Read 1508 times)

dirts

Infected with kayak mania
« on: August 02, 2012, 08:19:06 pm »
I have been kayak trolling for bass and have been very lucky.  I either have my dog Sodra sitting in back.  Shes always fishing, but mostly for the fish on the stringer.  My other partner is a thirteen year old boy that lives, breaths and dreams about fishing.  I mostly appreciate the full stringer of pillow clouds, clean blue water, loon symphony and the wind passing through the majestic pines and the smell of swamp cedar.  Last Sunday juleo and I were serinaded by baying bear hounds circling the lake.  Yogi doesn't even have time to steal a picinic basket.  Silence is the other gift.  As I paddle I weave the native american spirituality with my thoughts of thanksgiving. Life is good in the Northwoods of Wisconsin.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 08:25:47 pm by dirts »

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: Infected with kayak mania
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 11:37:42 pm »
Man, that sounds like fun! Have you ever wanted to build your own kayak? I have never been on a kayak, but I sure do want to build one!
Dan In Southern California

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 11:44:05 pm »
Hey Dirts, I share the same hobby.  My wife & I have kayaks here in Florida and take them both in fresh and salt water.  Our 9 year old Grandson just spent a month with us and loves fishing so we got him his own yak.  He & I went fishing constantly.  Didn't catch a lot, but we did get a couple of nice Redfish for dinner once, and he caught a nice sea trout another day.  We also took him kayaking down the Weekie Watchee Spring river (where the mermaids swim) and while he was playing in the water a manatee swam within inches of his ankles.  He was stoked!  Next thursday we will be swimming near Tallahassee in Wakulla Ball Springs State Park unless the tropical depression changes our plans.  Nice to know that you in the north are enjoying the same things we are in the south.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 03:58:58 pm »
That sounds like great fun
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

daliclimbs

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 05:37:41 pm »
I've been a Yaker for years now. But I'm on the other end of the spectrum, as I'm a class 4 river runner.. I love paddling white water and head down to the rivers here in WV any chance I get. I do often go out and do some recreation boating also. But alas my " wild water" mentality gets the better of me and the flat water just doesn't do it for Me LOL...

dirts

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 02:24:13 pm »
I just learned that a Lake Tomahawk Lake wants the bass numbers cut down.  Theirs a no minimal size.  Its connected to a Minocqua lake.  The lake is deep and clear. I'm going to hit it this friday.  I'm going down for a fish fry and then its off to the lake.  I'm going to fish it one hour before and one hour after sunset.  I read that the best times to fish are sunrise, sunset,moon rise, moon set.  One hour before and after and combine these times with a full moon or new moon and the five days following and fishing will be prime.  My son David who had downe syndrome bought his own Kayak and is going to join me in the kayak that he bought.  He has an Old Town 120 Dirago. He wants a musky.  I begged him not to hook one.  My anxiety level for Friday getting here is the closest I'm going to be a little kid again.
They had a bass contest and the participants were told to bring in full stringers.  That they did and I was told that the shore lunch was fantastic.  I even talked to alot of musky fisherman worked it for musky and they reported catching alot of bass.
Catch and Cook fishing.  Ya got to luv it.
Trying out some hand painted crankbaits from Poland.  The main one is a Dan Gapen lure called the flub dub.
I'm going to search for more bass patterns for some new scroll saw T-shirts.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 02:34:51 pm by dirts »

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2012, 02:47:52 am »
Dirts
Sounds like you are having altogether too much fun! I'm envious. Too soon old too late smart!

Dan  you can find all kinds of sites for kayak or canoe building. I built a small dingy from plans I got free from the internet, sorry lost all the photos when the computer crashed. there are many options available. Including plans built or kit built, and only $$$ holds you back.
I always thought the cedar boats were the most beautiful.
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

SMF

Teknoromi