Author Topic: blades  (Read 5803 times)

Dale2006

blades
« on: July 21, 2012, 04:36:57 pm »
I am a little lost on buying blades.  My saw requires the Pin type blades and came with clamps to use the non-pin type but when I tried to do that it took a long time to get the blade in place.  So, I would prefer to buy the pin type.  I have looked on line and I am having trouble translating what is being sold with what is being recommended. 

I have been digging into the archives and saw several references to : Mike's website".  I didn't see a URL.  If he is still available and might have the blades I need would someone would someone please point me in his direction.  If he is not available Can someone tell me where to go. Well, better yet just tell me where to get the blades.

Thanks

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
Re: blades
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 04:56:37 pm »
Mikes Workshop can be found here http://www.mikesworkshop.com/
But having said that, pin end blades are very restrictive on the work you can do, you can'd do any fine inside cuts due to the larger hole needed to thread the blade through. I know it is a pain with the "clamp adaptors" to use pinless the blades but it is well worth the extra effort using pinless blades, there is a much greater selection of blades and a larger selection of patterns to cut that can't be attempted with pinned blades. I could be wrong (perhaps another member here could confirm it) but I seem to remember seeing a quick release adaptor kit that fits quite a few machines, if I'm right it would be worth looking into getting one

Keith
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 05:12:03 pm »
Mike does not sell pinned end blades. If you still want to use them after reading Keefe's reply, go to www.sloanswoodshop.com. They sell Olsen blade which do have pinned end blades.
Dan In Southern California

Dale2006

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 09:07:50 pm »
OK, it doesn't make sense to ask people who know a lot more than I f ro advice and the not follow it.  I have decided to go with the pinless blades and I will be ordering from Mike.

I traded a metal detector for my scroll saw and it is not top of the line. If this works out for me I will be upgrading and that will be using the blades without the pins.

Thanks for the respones

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 10:25:58 pm »
you ask for advice about blades. you got it but you don't need to be rude here dude.

I did not feel he was being rude, I did not see that at all!
Dan In Southern California

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2012, 01:44:18 am »
I'm with Dan.  I see nothing but respect.  Maybe you just took him wrong?
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2012, 07:43:51 am »
I didn't read anything rude in Dale response. You are out of line on this one cyberghost. 
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2012, 08:03:50 am »
Hey Dale, Most of us started with less than optimal machines.  Nothing wrong with that.  Your world of possibilities opens up when you can use the pinless blades.  Fine work requires them.  Mike has an assortment pack that will give you a good idea of what you prefer.  Enjoy trying them out.  You will develope your own favorites.  We all have them.  Happy Scrolling!

Dale2006

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2012, 08:29:19 am »
Thank you all.  If anyone saw any rudeness, I apologize.  It was not intended.

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2012, 09:16:56 am »
Dale2006, you might be able to use both types of blades.  Olson blades with pins might be OK for larger cutting, and would be easier to change.  You could use the pinless blades only when the pinned are too large to fit the cut.

Jim
Using a Delta 40-690 in the Montreal, Quebec (Canada) area

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2012, 02:02:32 pm »
Dale, I started out with a cheap machine like you, which required a hex key to fit the pinless blades into their special holders then fit the assembly onto the machine then tension it.  Yes, it was a pain in the butt, but as I used it more I found I got a lot quicker at changing blades, I even did a portrait of my Mum (thanks to Grampa Paul for the pattern) and it turned out ok (see Pic) So you might have a cheap starter machine which is slow on blade changes, but there is nothing that we do on out higher range machines that you can't do on your machine - it just takes a little more time. Once you have the money and upgrade your machine you will just appreceiate it more.

Keith
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Dale2006

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2012, 08:49:52 pm »
Thank you all.  I do have a supply of pinned blades.  I'm not sure what sige but I suspect they are the larger blades.  I think I will follow advice and byt the ones without the pins and learn to live with it.  I see a new machine in the not too distant future.  I appreciate you all going out of your way to help.

Offline MOONIE

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2012, 09:42:50 pm »
I haven't done it, but I'm told you can tap the pins out the the pin blades.  Just a thought.
MOONIE

Offline glenn wouters

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2012, 02:23:44 pm »
There is nothing wrong with a pinned end blade machine.
I used mine for about 8 years, and i could make pretty nice things.
But it's a fact, once i got my EX21 a new world opened up to me.
I can make much more fine projects.
But we all have to face it.
It isn't cheap to buy a new machine, specially if you want the top of the line.
I had to dig deep in my pocket to buy my EX21, but it's worth every cent of it.
Although it is good to learn on a simple machine and find out if scroling is something you really want to keep on doing.
If so, then i think start saving like mad and upgrade your tool.

More on topic, i don't know how it is in the USA, but here in Belgium we can buy pinned end blades in every DIY shop.

Glenn, Belgium

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2012, 02:12:02 pm »
my first machine had pin blades as well.
but couldn't make the tiny holes.
so I bend a piece of steel and made my own clamp holders.
bought 2 Hegner screw clamps and tadaaa.... I could use normal blades.

then later I bought  a used  :D Hegner and it is still running fine.
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

SMF

Teknoromi