Author Topic: Just a reminder to be safe  (Read 1126 times)

Dale2006

Just a reminder to be safe
« on: July 21, 2012, 04:29:07 pm »
I am always warning people to be safe and not to get behind the pieces that are being cut on the table say.  I guess I should be practicing what I preach.  

I am a new scroll sawyer and I just bought a book titled "Scroll Saw for the first time.'  It looks like a good book with projects graduated in difficulty and lots of instruction.

Any way, I was starting to do one of the early exercises and was cutting some 3 x4 inch plywood and one of the piece kicked back and one the way past smacked my little finger.  It's ok.  After about an hour it has pretty much stopped hurting but at first it went completely numb and started swelling immediately. I thought I had hurt it pretty badly.  I have a little red line right below the fingernail and a bruise that has almost disappeared.

The piece of plywood got thrown back about fifteen feet and bounced off of a wall.  Just a reminder to be careful.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 04:38:28 pm by Dale2006 »

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
Re: Just a reminder to bre safe
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 04:33:21 pm »
All power tools need to be treated with respect and safety procedures followed (but we have all cut corners and done things we shouldn't have) I'm just glad you are ok with no serious injury.
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

canadasgall

Re: Just a reminder to be safe
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 05:09:00 am »
the same thing happened to me but i broke my thumb,got six stitches and time off work. we do learn from our mistakes i am much more careful when using my table saw.but one good thing is you still have all your fingers..we all hear of accidents and figure that will never happen to me until it does..please be careful in the shop it would be awful to hear of some one losing a finger or worse. i think accidents hurt more as we get older. i am glad your ok

Dale2006

Re: Just a reminder to be safe
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 08:57:51 pm »
Thanks.  A side remark.  I have been doing woodworking for several years when i have time.  I am about a year away from retirement and I have most of the tools I need.  I have also acquired a lot fo wood.  I have about 2000 board feet of walnut the I picked up for $200 at an auction.

I have been to several auctions and a couple of years ago I went to one where a woodworking shop was going out of business. Woodworkers came from quite a distance and there were a lot of items.  I bought a radial arm saw and some wood.  But the lessen I got from this day was that there were a lot of woodworkers with three fingers and a thumb on one of their hands,

SMF

Teknoromi