Author Topic: Drum set pattern  (Read 2631 times)

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
Drum set pattern
« on: July 11, 2012, 10:32:16 pm »
I want to do a drum set project for a friend and found the the attached on a royalty-free site.  I could either make it a free-standing project or one that is glued to a background, which ever is easier.

I hope this is understandable, it's my first pattern request.

Thanks in advance.
Jim
Using a Delta 40-690 in the Montreal, Quebec (Canada) area

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
Re: Drum set pattern
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 10:46:35 pm »
Neat Idea! I can't wait to see what the pattern designers come up with.
In the mean time if you do a Google image search for "drum set stencil" I came up with a few images that might be usable for a pattern for you.
http://www.google.com/search?q=drum+set+stencil&hl=en&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=Kjr-T_7ZG-mY2wX68Pm4Dw&ved=0CFQQsAQ&biw=1600&bih=732

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 12:01:03 pm »
I tried to make a pattern for the drum set using Gimp and Inkscape. Here is the result, so far, for a free standing pattern.  The red arrows are where I drilled holes to start the inside cuts.

I am having a problem with the inside cuts that don't go to the outside of the pattern.  My smallest drill bit is 3/64" but even that is significantly wider than a #7 blade so the hole is quite obvious.  I've tried tapering from the width of the hole to the thickness of the kerf but it's a hassle and easy to mess up.

How would you deal with the hole problem?  I have thought about finding really thick blades - perhaps banging the pins out of a pin end blade.

Is there something I missed in making the pattern that would solve the inside cut problem?

Thanks for your comments,
Jim

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 01:31:18 pm »
Mike sells the tiny drill bits, he is at http://www.mikesworkshop.com/  Hope this helps.

Keith
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 10:30:51 pm »
Thanks for the reminder, Keefie.  I think I'm going to have to buy some number drills and a chuck to hold them.  One of my hand drills will handle a 3/64" bit but I need the drill press to keep it vertical, especially for small cut-outs.

Jim

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 01:45:30 am »
I use my Dremel to drill holes in my work , when fitted with the plunge router jig attatchment it drills 100% vertical and you have the added advantage of not having drill press post getting in the way on larger work.
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 09:05:41 am »
Great idea, Keefie, but I just bought a planer and SWMBO would have a fit if I bought another tool.  I'll have to put it on the birthday/Christmas list.

Jim

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 11:01:10 pm »
My first pattern and I would appreciate comments on how it could be improved. 

It requires drilling some holes to start inside lines so I've ordered small bits and a chuck from FDMike.

Thanks for your comments,
Jim

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 11:15:54 pm »
The pattern itself is OPK but there are several 'floaters' that will fall out if cut exactly as shown.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2012, 11:33:13 am »
The cymbals, especially the large one, looks rather flimsy.  Do you think this could be cut as a free-standing puzzle, say out of 1/2 to 3/4" thick wood, or should it be made with a thinner wood and a solid backer?

GB, thanks for the comments.  I have corrected the floaters at the cymbals, don't think there were any others.  How does it look now?

Jim

SMF

Teknoromi