Author Topic: small problem with my EX-21  (Read 3249 times)

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
small problem with my EX-21
« on: June 27, 2012, 02:17:39 pm »
i been using my ex-21 now for a couple a weeks and i noticed that the bottom part of the blade that fits in the holding screw is getting bent forward.is this normal for these saws. it dosn't seem to affect the way the saw cuts just makes it hard when stack cutting.heres a couple of pics so you can see what i'm talking about.

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
Re: small problem with my EX-21
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 02:42:46 pm »
It might be one of two things, you might be overtightening it (I did that when I first got mine) or there is an adjustment screw opposite side to the clamp screw, this has a tendancy to come loose. It is supposed to protrude inside the clamp a little but when it comes loose the clamp screw tightens the blade and pushes it into the screw hole opposite. If this has happened then when you screw it back in remember to use a square to set the blade vertical when tensioned. once set put a little dab of locktite on the thread and it should stay in place. hope this helps.
Keith
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 03:24:43 pm »
Hey Todd, The DeWalt saws are prone to the same problem. keffie has the right remedy!
P.S. You can ply hockey with those blades!
Dan In Southern California

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 03:34:11 pm »
LOL hey Dan thats what i was thinking ;D

excalibur 21

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 08:30:25 am »
ok thanks guys i'll give that a try and see what happens.

excalibur 21

Offline Northerner

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 07:01:54 pm »
mine was doing the same thing, keefie has the solution for 90% of the saws

i ended up pulling off the lower blade chuck to take a look at it and i can see why the blades kept getting pushed out, previous owner(s) had to be cranking down really hard on the knob as the walls of the block were pushed apart so far that only the very ends of the flat parts of the knob and the set screw would touch on the blade and when it got tightened it would just push the blade out and bend it and now with the new lower clamp installed it works great!

i ordered the parts from Ray on a Monday and he had them in my hand on Thursday so once again great service from Seyco.

I love the smell of sawdust in the morning!

Offline spiderman

• Spiderman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 08:50:32 pm »
mine was doing the same thing, keefie has the solution for 90% of the saws

i ended up pulling off the lower blade chuck to take a look at it and i can see why the blades kept getting pushed out, previous owner(s) had to be cranking down really hard on the knob as the walls of the block were pushed apart so far that only the very ends of the flat parts of the knob and the set screw would touch on the blade and when it got tightened it would just push the blade out and bend it and now with the new lower clamp installed it works great!

Did you have to replace the lower chuck too or just the clamp screw  and the set screw.  I'm also having that happen to me but I never over tight the screws just tight enough to hold them in.
SPIDERMAN THE KING OF THE WEB

chippygeoff

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 12:00:25 pm »
I had an ex-21. I know there are a lot of happy people out there who have one but mine was one of the worst saws I had ever owned. I feel that most people that own one or considering getting one will at some point experience problems, some worse than others. I also feel that the materials they are made from are inferior. A lot of hype was made when they became available and many said they were the finest saws available and at the inflated price they sold for I thought it would be a saw that would last me many trouble free years, but I was wrong. Mine went back to the supplier after 4 months as a totally useless wreck. The supplier here puts them right and then puts them on e-bay. I have a very faithful 788 Mk 1 but saving for the ultimate saw, a Hegner.

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2012, 07:42:22 pm »
I found the way to stop this problem was to feed the blade in from the top and tighten and this seems to keep the blade straight in the bottom blade holder
Jimbo

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 10:53:36 pm »
"..... saving for the ultimate saw, a Hegner." <chippygeoff>
      I have two Hegners and the clamping system is not quick to work but does not let go nor bend blades.
20"Hegner Polymax-3 (2008)
25"Hegner Multimax-3 (1986)

No PHD, just a  DD 214

misterwood

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2012, 12:00:57 am »
this happens to me also, it happens when you tighten the blade clamp.

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2012, 07:48:39 am »
yes it does but its not suppose to.

excalibur 21

SMF

Teknoromi