Author Topic: Help me decide.  (Read 1627 times)

SeanR

Help me decide.
« on: June 25, 2012, 09:39:04 pm »
Hi folks. I am trying to decide what to buy. I was reading about the Ridgid oscilating belt sander and was wondering if I should buy it first. I was going to buy a table saw and a palm sander this week. However I am not sure how much I would use the table saw? And which would be more important. I do have 2 band saws that I can use to cut most wood. Plus would I even need a palm sander once I got the Ridgid? Of course this is all for scroll sawing, the only other wood working I do is Carving, and my band saw does just fine for that.
Sean

Offline Barry

• View Profile
Re: Help me decide.
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 10:12:20 pm »
Hi Sean -

I would get the palm sander and the osc. belt sander before the table saw.  I would probably buy a miter saw before the table saw, but just my opinion.  Whatever you buy always get the best that you can afford and you won't be disappointed.

Barry

PS:  Remember, If you ask three scrollers their opinion you will get at least four different answers  :)

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 10:19:56 pm »
I think it depends on what you plan on using your table saw for. For straight, even and repeatable cuts, nothing beats the table saw.
How do you buy the wood you scroll? I buy small sheets so cutting it up on a bandsaw is ok, but I would love to buy huge pieces of Baltic Birch Plywood and cut it all down to 8x10 blanks to have ready for cutting. (I actually usually cut my blanks about 9x11, but that is another post) My dream shop has a pile of pieces sanded and all preped and waiting for me to scroll...sorry again, I got lost in thought.
Another time a table saw is handy is if you want to make your own frames. Ripping to the size you want is easy on the table saw, and a miter gauge or sled can cut your corners. Although depending on your other options the miters might not be made on the table saw.

Some other projects can be greatly helped by seriously straight cuts and the repetition of a table saw. I have made a bunch of toy trucks and things that having a table saw is really handy for that purpose. If you want to glue different woods together to create cool blanks for making awesome bowls, a table saw is handy. (check for some of DGman's brag posts, he has some awesome bowls like this, although I am not positive he uses a table saw, it is what I do when I copy him) Many mini-clocks have  bases that can be cut squarely and quickly on a table saw, although a router table is more handy for making decorative cuts on the edges.

Personally I use my belt and spindle sanders way more then my table saw. My table saw is out in the shed (and I don't like that one so I usually drag all of my table saw cuts to work) Most of the time when I "need" a table saw cut, I can "get by" with a bandsaw. However, when I "need" a belt sander or spindle sander, I really can't "get by" with something else.
also, I use a palm sander on every project, so get that one too.

btw, my husband says I collect sanding devices and can't understand why I will spend more time sanding a project then cutting it. I have a bench top belt sander, spindle sander, 4 types of sanding attachments for my drill press, hand belt sander, ROS sander, detail sander, a box full of sanding devices for the dremmel, sanding blocks, scroll saw sanding belts, dozens of sanding files and I still even take a piece of sand paper in my hand when they all fail.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 10:39:08 pm »
Hey Sean, I would be lost without my table saw. But if you can get by with a band saw,  I would recommend a random orbital sander. Every piece of wood I prepare for any woodworking project gets hit with the random orbital sander. I have many sanders, but I use the ROS the most.
Dan In Southern California

SeanR

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 10:59:26 pm »
I think to start I will buy cut wood. Plus my brother in law has a table saw. Being new to all this it is hard to choose what ranks highest on the tool's to get list hehe. I know a place that sells the wood pre cut and sanded.

SMF

Teknoromi