Author Topic: ZOTS  (Read 6161 times)

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
ZOTS
« on: June 21, 2012, 08:01:08 pm »
Has anyone ever used zots in the scrap area for stack cutting? Zots are the little adhesive dots that come on a roll.
I'm from North Dakota

Offline troy_curtis

• No matter where you go...there you are.
    • View Profile
Re: ZOTS
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 08:14:47 pm »
no, but interested in learning about stack cutting. I am a little bit leery of it. For some reason I see the pieces coming unstacked and being a problem.

Offline Barry

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 08:19:51 pm »
Hi Judy -

I have never used anything but clear packaging tape.  Even though it can be a pain to get off, I haven't had any luck with anything else.  The slightest movement ruins my stack cut, since I can never reposition it correctly.  I stack cut a lot and have never found anything better.

Barry

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 10:50:26 pm »
Up to now I have always used small dots of wood glue in the waste areas then blue painters tape, then spray adhesive the pattern on.  The wood glue has always worked great but I wasn't granted much for patience so I thought maybe the zots would do away with the time it takes for the glue to dry.  I am going to give it a try later in the week. 
I'm from North Dakota

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 03:26:30 am »
Hi Judy I think you made the zot thing up????? I looked it up in the dictionary and there is no such word
what do you say about that
jimbo

Offline maritimer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 07:09:28 am »
Hey Judy.  I use 2 sided tape - put a little strip on two sides of the board (on each layer) and keep stacking.  Sometimes the tape is in the waste area and sometimes not.  If it's not just be careful when separating....breakage can occur and has!  I stack 4 pieces of 1/8" this way.  If there is any breakage it's usually only 1 never all 4.  After the boards are stacked I apply pattern with adhesive spray and then clear packing tape on top and ready to go.

Now there are different thicknesses of 2 sided tape and the one I use is thinner than a piece of paper.  The thicker ones would leave a gap between the boards.

Works for me and quick and easy!   :)

jim stiek

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 09:23:00 am »
I use hot glue on spots around the edges, since I tried this I have used nothing else, it is problem free and after you are done they seperate fairly easily
jim

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 09:59:08 am »
I use the two sided carpet tape to hold things in place. I get mine at Ace Hardware and buy the cheap paper backed tape (not the cloth backed). The cheaper stuff is easier to separate but still works OK.  When removing the layers of the stack, use a heat gun or hair dryer or mineral spirits to release the tape.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2012, 10:23:59 am »
I usually just wrap tape around the edges a.s it holds pretty well for me.if I am cutting ornaments or other things like that get cut out I like putting a couple of small brad nails in the waste areas, that allows me to cut each piece free and still have the middle stable.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2012, 10:53:10 am »
Hey Judy, Why not be the Guinea Pig? try them out and report back on them!
As for me, I used to use double backed tape, but I found it difficult to separate the layers. I now use two methods. If the stack is a portrait where the outside edge is part of the project, I use blue painters tape on the outside edge only. If the project is being cut out from inside the stack, I use a hot glue gun to glue the edges of the stack. Its actually a lot cheaper than using tape, but holds a lot better.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 02:42:58 pm by dgman »
Dan In Southern California

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2012, 01:24:46 pm »
Hey Jimnbo I may make up a few long tales but this one happens to be true.  You know I never tell a fib unless I am alone or with someone or my lips are moving :D
check this out
http://www.paperwishes.com/products/7505570000?gclid=CM7cuuat4rACFUMCQAodrl-D1A

Ok dg I will give them a try and report.  Might be a day or two
I'm from North Dakota

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2012, 01:55:35 pm »
If you try the "Zots" it would be interesting to know the result
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2012, 04:33:44 pm »
"Zots" enough silly talk!

Zeriously...i would assume that you would have to make sure all dust is off both surfaces to make them stick.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

UHMNL

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2012, 05:48:36 pm »
I use a staple gun for stack cutting. If the ends come through the wood I cut that off and sand it on my belt sander.
FD Mike

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2012, 06:50:52 pm »
There are 101 ways to do this. I always tell my students to do what work for you!
Dan In Southern California

SMF

Teknoromi