Author Topic: PLEASE!!!!!  (Read 1677 times)

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
PLEASE!!!!!
« on: June 17, 2012, 10:13:14 pm »
BACK UP your computer....

I have been harping to my S.O. for almost 2 years and it kept being, "I'll do it when I get time!"

Friday morning she turned on her Macbook (which I hate) and there was no Display. Went to  the Mac store for help and $1,300 later came home the proud owner of a new Macbook Air. They were to migrate all her data for free.
Saturday afternoon she went back to get her new laptop and was informed that something on the processor board 'fried' and they were unbable to migrate the data!!!

So now she firmly believes in BACK-UPS!
Unless we can get someone to recover the data all 5,000+ photos, expense records for 5 years, complete medical history, etc. are gone forever!

Back It Up!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: PLEASE!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 10:33:23 pm »
Yes Sir!!!
BTW, Happy Fathers Day!
Dan In Southern California

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 10:35:29 pm »
Back atcha, Dan'l!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 01:27:29 am »
Your warning is right on the money.  I run an automatic backup of my terrabyte drive weekly.  That being said, if her motherboard fried, they should still be able to easily copy the files from her hard drive unless I am missing something.  I have a device I can attach to any hard drive and convert it temporarily to a usb drive.  Comes in quite hand for this type of situation and only sells for about $25.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 09:30:45 am »
Bill, I have the same adapter. .
However, I have been told that Mac laptops are rather difficult to get the drive out of the case without messing it up worse.
I just got a look at it last night and the thing powers up and possibly boots up. At least I can hear the HD spinning so all may not be lost. Today I will contact some "Super Geek" friends who may be able to either get the drive out or possibly extract the data onto an external drive.

Will Keep you all posted!

I do not do MACS!

~~~GB~~~

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 09:59:12 am »
I hear you GB!  I don't do Macs either.  Good luck with it!  Sounds like you have a fair chance of recovery.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 02:54:48 pm »
I'll keep my fingers crossed for a safe recovery.
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Offline troy_curtis

• No matter where you go...there you are.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 11:16:37 pm »
I put copies of all my files in drop box. If for some reason I lost my hard drive all my files are safe. Also you can get some pretty big flash drives. I recommend get at least a 20 gb flash drive and once a month use that to back up files.

SMF

Teknoromi