Author Topic: Staining Pine  (Read 2964 times)

Offline golfman

• View Profile
Staining Pine
« on: June 16, 2012, 06:05:42 am »
I have made fretwork picture frames for my wife out of half inch pine. We have ten grandchildren so I cut one for each with their name.The problem is she wants a dark stain on them. Is it possible to dip them in stain. Has anyone tried this.I suggested to her I paint them but was vetoed .

Offline jeff44

• View Profile
Re: Staining Pine
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 07:54:41 am »
I have done it with Christmas Ornaments.  You just have to be very careful and not touch the wood with your hand.  jeff44

Offline golfman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 08:06:36 am »
Thanks Jeff

thumbs

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 08:11:46 am »
use sanding sealer on the pine--when you stain it, there will be less blotches and more even coverage--works for me--Richard

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 09:34:41 am »
I might suggest that on pine or any other open grain wood (poplar also) that you give it a thin coat of shellac before staining. Shellac dries fairly fast so it is no big deal. I buy my Zinsser "Bulls Eye" shellac at Lowe's and cut it 50/50 with denatured alcohol to make a 1# cut and brush it on with a cheap foam brush. It usually drys in 5 to 10 minutes. Then wipe the stain on with a folded paper towel. If you need to get the stain down inside the cuts, you can use a small water color brush or even a cotton swab where it doesn't just flow into the small, tight areas.
If you don't use a sealer of some kind, the open grained woods tend to blotch and have a lot of dark spots in odd areas (especially end grain. I have made a poplar blanket chest look like walnut to the untrained eye.) and then just apply the final finish however you want to.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline Crabbyboater

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 01:41:50 pm »
If you want a dark color, you might also consider Gel Stains.  No sealer needed, just wipe on and off. 
Your web footed friend in Seattle, WA.

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 04:22:38 am »
I'm with Crabby.  I have used gel stains on pine and poplar with good results.  Even on larger projects like bookcases.  You get more consistent results with better control.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline troy_curtis

• No matter where you go...there you are.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2012, 05:45:41 pm »
Can you use the gel stain for fret work? How do you get it in the little holes. I think trying to stain such a project would be hard. I did see some dark spray that I thought might work.

Offline edward

• View Profile
    • eds scrollwork
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 09:57:08 am »
 Do they still sell spray stains, might be good to get into small areas.  Edward

SMF

Teknoromi