Author Topic: Band saw  (Read 1934 times)

Offline spiderman

• Spiderman
    • View Profile
Band saw
« on: June 12, 2012, 08:55:30 pm »
What is the best band saw to get for under $145.00   Brand name  or what band saw do you have and why do you think it is good and not mm pro and cons of the band saw you have.  because i'm looking for one a 9" band saw blade 59 and 1/2 long  1/4 blade.  see I had call Ace and can't get parts for it anymore so I took it back and they give me my money back.
SPIDERMAN THE KING OF THE WEB

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
Re: Band saw
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 03:04:31 am »
If you  want a band saw buy a decent one,they are not cheap but at least they will not cause you problems, cheap is dangerous, so beware
Jimbo

Offline jeff44

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 09:21:16 am »
Check out Harbor Freight.  I have their 9 in band saw and it works great for small work.  It does not have a fence, or resawing capabilities.  Jeff

UHMNL

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 10:07:45 am »
They have a saying in the Netherlands.
"Goed koop is duur koop".
"Cheap buying is expensive buying".
FD Mike

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 10:49:16 am »
I have several 9" delta band saws. They don't make the model I have anymore but I have gotten them used on Craigslist. I have 4 of them in my middle school shop, they put up with all of the abuse a room full of 12 year holds can put out. Not many tools can pass the middle school test.

scrollingdesigns

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 12:23:34 pm »
I have a 9" Craftsman, works great for what I do. the table is a little small but it is not a big problem for what I use it for.

Offline Barry

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 11:10:16 pm »
I think the key is what Jeff touched on, do you want to be able to resaw?  I think you would need at least a 14" to resaw well.  I think you always buy the best you can afford and you won't be disappointed.  I have a 10" Ryobi bandsaw and it works good for me.  All I do is cut off pieces for scrolling or rough outline a pattern.

Jimbo makes a great point, cheap is (can be) dangerous.

Barry

Offline spiderman

• Spiderman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 07:26:03 pm »
I think the key is what Jeff touched on, do you want to be able to resaw?  I think you would need at least a 14" to resaw well.  I think you always buy the best you can afford and you won't be disappointed.  I have a 10" Ryobi bandsaw and it works good for me.  All I do is cut off pieces for scrolling or rough outline a pattern.

Jimbo makes a great point, cheap is (can be) dangerous.

Barry

And cheap women can be dangerous too.      I was thinking about the 10" ryobi for resawing for 3D compounds to make 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 by 5 inches long blocks.  and 1 3/4 by 1 3/4  by 5 inches long blocks.
SPIDERMAN THE KING OF THE WEB

SMF

Teknoromi