Author Topic: staining  (Read 1004 times)

bigred7469

staining
« on: June 08, 2012, 11:35:30 am »
I'm making a medal holder for my wife and I stained the one board dark walnut and the other pieace natural.  The problem I have had in the past is the dark stain bleeding into the lighter colored stain.  What are some tips to avoid this.  The only one I can thing of is to clear coat both pieces then glue them to gether.  As always thanks for the help and pointers.  Looking forward to ya'lls responses.

Red

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
Re: staining
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 12:13:26 pm »
I have done this in the past and after the stain dries completely I just spray a coat of Spray Lacquer on both pieces, allow to dry and gently 'rough' up the area to be glued. Apply Alene's Tacky Glue and clamp the pieces until the glue dries.
Then proceed with several light coats of the lacquer sanding with a piece of brown paper bag between coats.

Works fine for me but surely not the only way!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 01:57:03 pm »
you might also give gel stains a try.  Since they are not so liquid, they don't run as much, or absorb as deeply into the wood.  In other words they tend to stay put more.  I was accustomed to oil based liquid stains, but have found I like the gel stains better for many applications.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 08:34:44 am »
I agree with GB, a lite coat of Spray Lacquer on both pieces, allow to dry and gently 'rough' up the area to be glued works for me also.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

SMF

Teknoromi