Author Topic: I finally got my boxwood  (Read 3766 times)

cloetpatrick

I finally got my boxwood
« on: May 31, 2010, 02:54:44 am »
 :D Yesterday I received a turner of Champagne, boxwood, whose sections are about 5 centimeters and 25 centimeters duametre length. Then two other pieces of 10 cm in diameter and about 1 meter long. Wood quality is perfect from the start I'll be able to challenge the workings of my clock.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
Re: I finally got my boxwood
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 10:15:23 am »
Good luck, keep us posted on the progress.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

cherie

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 10:18:00 am »
Cograts!  Cant wait to see the finished project.

Dawie

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 11:42:29 am »
Super enjoy using it.
David

garyinnevada

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 12:01:58 pm »
Could you explain what a Turner of Champagne and Boxwood is? Please?

Offline budprine

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 01:31:56 pm »
Cloepatrick,
We have to talk.  I'm making the same clock and I still don't understand how it works.  My confusion regards the pendulum and how it activates the pawl part 31, the ratchet part 36, or the escapement part 22.  I simply do not see the connection or how it "trips" them.
Likewise, I don't understand where the yoke goes.  Most likely if I knew one the others would fall into place.

At this time I have all the gears cut, the frame cut, and pretty much ready to assemble.  I have not made any of the large round parts such as the wall standoffs or spindles.  I'm considering making the smaller diameter spindle out of brass tubing, if I can find some.

Can you help me?
best regards,

Bud Prine

Charlie Dearing

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 03:10:59 pm »
There is no way I could cut a project that makes me think so much.  Good luck.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2010, 03:39:47 pm »
Working clocks are soooo awesome,,,, 8)

cloetpatrick

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2010, 05:33:11 am »
Could you explain what a Turner of Champagne and Boxwood is? Please?

Turner, who works on a lathe.
It comes from the French department which is called "Champagne" where it makes good wine to champagne bubbles.

Boxwood is a hardwood with small leaves. Used all year in the Catholic feast "Palm Sunday". This is used also for wood turning, marquetry, lace wood and fretwork.

Maybe a translation from French to English is not impeccable, miles apology is made with a translation software online "Google Translation."

cloetpatrick

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2010, 06:38:17 am »
Cloepatrick,
We have to talk.  I'm making the same clock and I still don't understand how it works.  My confusion regards the pendulum and how it activates the pawl part 31, the ratchet part 36, or the escapement part 22.  I simply do not see the connection or how it "trips" them.
Likewise, I don't understand where the yoke goes.  Most likely if I knew one the others would fall into place.

At this time I have all the gears cut, the frame cut, and pretty much ready to assemble.  I have not made any of the large round parts such as the wall standoffs or spindles.  I'm considering making the smaller diameter spindle out of brass tubing, if I can find some.

Can you help me?

I have not started the clock, I'll start Monday.
Meanwhile I do not know more than you, it's my first try too.
Of course I will show the evolution of what I do, and then we shall be able to mention the problems encountered during production. I can not say yet how this will be done probably when I'd arrived at the same level as you in assembling this clock.

I studied the plans for the parts 31, 35 and 36.
I think in part 35, there is a small pin hole to get to the room No. 31. The other side of the coin 31 should sit in the teeth of the part 36

See both images below! ...

Of course I'll take more time than expected because I'm translating all the plans before starting.
Making a clock like that is a challenge that I intend to succeed! ...

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2010, 06:49:30 am »
Wow. That looks very complicated. That is why I haven't tried to make a working clock.   ::)

cloetpatrick

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2010, 08:03:20 am »
That Budprine for part 22 which receive at both ends 23 & 24 (A), the axis 20 connects the two uprights in receiving all these parts (B) in the second hole of montants1 and 4. 22,23,24 this set, based on the wheel 35, the base parts 23 & 24 coming each turn in the wheel dentiss 35. (C)

It is easily seen on the image below.

Hopefully my English is quite understandable! ...

Offline MadHatter

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2010, 09:05:03 am »
looks complicated i agree, but once you get it assembled and working, it will be awesome. keep us posted with pics. thanks

Offline budprine

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2010, 12:41:10 pm »
That Budprine for part 22 which receive at both ends 23 & 24 (A), the axis 20 connects the two uprights in receiving all these parts (B) in the second hole of montants1 and 4. 22,23,24 this set, based on the wheel 35, the base parts 23 & 24 coming each turn in the wheel dentiss 35. (C)
I understand the above statement, your English is fine for me.  I do think your reference to wheel 35 above should really be wheel 25.  Besides that I understand.

My question is something different.  Refer to axis 20.  It extends out the rear of vertical support 1.  What happens then?  Does it somehow connect to the pendulum?  Or how does the pendulum make the 22,23,24 assembly rock so that wheel 25 is allowed to turn incrementally?
best regards,

Bud Prine

Offline budprine

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2010, 12:54:34 pm »
I have not started the clock, I'll start Monday.
Meanwhile I do not know more than you, it's my first try too.
Of course I will show the evolution of what I do, and then we shall be able to mention the problems encountered during production. I can not say yet how this will be done probably when I'd arrived at the same level as you in assembling this clock.

I studied the plans for the parts 31, 35 and 36.
I think in part 35, there is a small pin hole to get to the room No. 31. The other side of the coin 31 should sit in the teeth of the part 36

Images not reproduced here.  See original post.

Of course I'll take more time than expected because I'm translating all the plans before starting.
Making a clock like that is a challenge that I intend to succeed! ...

I agree with what you are saying.  In saying that the clock weight #43 rotates # 36  as the pawl #31 prevents it from allowing the weight to drop to the ground. I still do not know how that energy from the falling weight is transmitted to the pendulum to keep it moving.
best regards,

Bud Prine

SMF

Teknoromi