Author Topic: Delta saw fuse blowing  (Read 2520 times)

Old Beekeeper

Delta saw fuse blowing
« on: June 05, 2012, 03:42:06 pm »
I have started to do some work with my variable speed Delta 40-570 scroll saw which has a 3 amp auto type fuse. Everytime that I hook up the foot switch to run the saw I blow the fuse after a few minutes of on and off foot work to change blade position. I took the foot switch apart and it looks OK; just an on/off switch. If I run the saw with the hand switch on the saw everything runs fine. Any thoughts

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: Delta saw fuse blowing
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 04:15:16 pm »
Welcome to the forum Old Beekeeper! Just a thought, Do you have an extension cord attached to the saw and foot switch? If yes, you need to go to a larger amp rated cord. Try that and see if that helps.
Please go over to the introduction page and introduce your self so we can welcome you better!
Dan In Southern California

Offline MOONIE

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 10:06:17 pm »
Welcome  Ole Beekeeper.  You'll love it here.
MOONIE

Offline wedo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 12:52:12 pm »
one other thought is to check your connections for a loose wire. that could also cause the increased amperage.
Bill

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 12:36:40 pm »
A thought comes to mind when you say "on and off foot work" - are you tapping the foot switch to get the blade into a slightly different position?  If that's the case, the quick on/off/on/off . . .  might cause electrical surges which could blow the fuse.

The 40-570 is rated at 2 amps so even a lamp extension cord should be OK although I would recommend at least a 3 wire 16 gauge cord, unless you need one more than 50 feet long.  ;)

Best of luck and let us know how you make out.
Jim
Using a Delta 40-690 in the Montreal, Quebec (Canada) area

Old Beekeeper

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 03:41:52 pm »
Just thinking about it, you are probably right as I am still pretty unsure of my cuts so I do turn the switch on and off quickly while repositioning the blade. I suppose that practice will eventually get rid of the herky jerky stop-move-restart. I noticed that I leave the saw on if I am just using the hand switch on the saw. You bee pretty smart.

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 08:23:31 pm »
Glad I could help.
Jim
Using a Delta 40-690 in the Montreal, Quebec (Canada) area

SMF

Teknoromi