Author Topic: Spray on Finish??  (Read 3194 times)

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
Spray on Finish??
« on: May 19, 2012, 09:37:26 am »
I am making tree ornaments for Christmas gifts this year and am I wanting to keep them natural so I am dipping them in lemon oil and spraying on a clear finish. There are so many different spray finishes (clear,gloss,satin,ultra satin,etc.). What do ya'll use? I ask the clerk at Home Depot and she said most people use the ultra satin, but, due to cost, I did not want to buy several kinds to experiment with so I am seeking advice and opinions from you experienced scrollers out there. ;)

Tony,aka,Toneman

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: Spray on Finish??
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 09:50:29 am »
Hey Tony, How are the eyes doing? I don't like a shiny look on my projects so I use a semi gloss lacquer. One or two coats is usually enough. After it is dry I use a sheet of brown paper bag to sand it smooth and even out the finish. This also takes off the shine and leaves the finish satin smooth. I use the Deft brand availible at The Blue or Orange stores.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 09:53:01 am by dgman »
Dan In Southern California

Offline edward

• View Profile
    • eds scrollwork
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 10:55:21 am »
I usually like spray shellac on my ornaments, I like the gloss. I dip them in danish oil first, which brings out the grain in the wood.  Edward

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 07:30:08 pm »
I like high gloss, as do my customers ,it seems.  I use triple thick clear finish from Walmart. It is a fast drying acrylic.
20"Hegner Polymax-3 (2008)
25"Hegner Multimax-3 (1986)

No PHD, just a  DD 214

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 11:48:26 pm »
For me it's either lacquer or shellac.  Both dry in minutes and you can re-coat.  Shellac is available clear or amber which adds a little depth when you want it.  I also buy them in larger quantities and spray them through an hvlp conversion gun when building furniture.  Either way, after the last coat I rub the project down with 0000 steel wool dipped in paste wax.  Makes the wood smooth as a babies butt and an even sheen.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

daliclimbs

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 12:38:18 pm »
I put on a light coat of shellac based sanding sealer. Then I finish most projects with beeswax and mineral oil paste. It gives a soft hand rubbed look and is totally food safe. I'm not a big fan of high gloss finish. On my intarsia work I use deft in a satin.

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 07:09:59 pm »
Wally-W0rld sells a Krylon brand spray varnish.  Shiney or not.  Drys real fast and with a ligh sanding (Brown bag or) another spray and same and wait fer a hour and spray a Good Two coats of Minwax Poly (Gloss or not)  I prefer my projects to shine more than not.  My two cents worth....  Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 04:50:46 pm »
BLO mix dip...dry...spray with satin lacquer...rub with paper bag...spray again...rub with paper bag...spray again and rub one last time with the paper bag....

Nice smooth and NOT shiny finish!

My way and i am sticking to it!

I don't do SHINY!!!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline maritimer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 08:36:06 pm »
I too use lacquer....love the fact that you can recoat in minutes.  But...just heard that over time lacquer can chip and peel and of course would look unsightly. I do things like plaques, clocks and I would think they would be ok as they wouldn't be handled, however, I also do boxes which of course would be used.  Sure wouldn't want a customer coming back with a chip/peeling item.  Anybody know if there is any truth to this?

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2012, 08:40:37 pm »
I have been using spray lacquer for years and have not seen that problem. Most of what we scrollers do don't get handled a lot, so it should not be a problem.
Dan In Southern California

Offline maritimer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2012, 09:01:49 pm »
Thanks Dan.  I'll keep going with it.

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2012, 09:34:14 pm »
Just want to thank ya'll for your advice and opinion about finishing! Now, I am armed with all these different ways to finish my scroll art and will just try them and see what fits my needs and wants for finishing. Thank all of ya'll so much. Don't know what I would do without your input. Keep making dumb decisions probably! LOL

Tony,aka,Toneman

SMF

Teknoromi