Author Topic: All right! ALL RIGHT!!  (Read 3755 times)

chips

All right! ALL RIGHT!!
« on: May 30, 2010, 08:16:12 am »
 You all have convinced me to buy a DeWalt 788  :) seeing that's about What most people have on here and the other scrolling Forums. I figured you-all can't all be wrong.

I will admit so far it seems to be a better saw than my Delta P20. A lot cheaper too.

One question tho...... How do most of you handle dust collection?

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
Re: All right! ALL RIGHT!!
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 08:24:38 am »
Well, from my very short association with the '788' I have to say I now know why one of out fellow members calls himself "DustyKnees"!

I already have a good 20" box fan in my area with a filter on it and now I am planning a smaller hi-volume fan about 'knee high' on the opposite side of the the saw to help move the dust. I also will try using that long apron that has been hanging in the cornier for a couple years!

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

dankc908

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 08:32:15 am »
Why do that graybeard?  I love the reaction, from my wife, when I forget my apron while wearing black pants and cutting cherry.  The look on her face is 'priceless'!   :D

Dan

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 08:45:40 am »
Hey Dan!
My very first job, so many, many years ago was running a drill press in a metal shop and I have a habit that still stays with me.
When I step away from a tool, be it a saw, drill press, lathe, sander or grinder the very first steps I take are toward the nozzle of the compressor hose!!!
And my 'uniform' since starting this addictive hobby has come to be a pair of shorts, tee shirt and then Bib overalls that are about 2 sizes too big over everything. When I finish I just blow the dust off the 'bibs' take them off and hang them on the hook where the apron is! Every so often they go in the washer with the cleaning and car washing rags.
Keeps those 'nasty stares' to a minimum, except for the dusty footprints leading to the fridge!

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Marshall

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 09:31:24 am »
Chips my first choice was the Delta P-20 , but they don't make new ones anymore > so this was why I ended up with my 788 some time back . I had heard that the P-20 was a great saw , but I'm happy with the 788 and never thought it would be everything I ever wanted . The dust I don't really pay any attention to it , but I always wear my double respirator for safety . I guess I never mind the dust , ........Marshall

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 11:15:26 am »
Sorry but the Excalibur (EX21) is my choice.   8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Dustyknees

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2010, 01:57:21 pm »
Here is what I use under my Delta 16",had basically the same thing under my 788 before I had to part with it..works well to catch most of the dust..

chips

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2010, 02:47:48 pm »
 Thanks for all the replies.

I do have a Jet dust collector that I use on my table saw, planer, jointer, band saw, etc. Just looking for a way to possibly hook it up under the 788 to suck the dust up out of the bottom anyway. I suppose I could jury rig something but thought someone might have come up with an idea that works.

Marshall,

As you pointed out they no longer make the Delta P20 which is a shame to because it had some nice features like the dust port. A bad point was it didn't have variable speed and only a double pulley system that would only give you 4 speeds. Plus if you got the drive belt out of line it didn't take long to break the belt. Don't ask!  :) Strangely enuf even tho the P20 weighs about 30 or 40 pds. more the the 788 it has more table vibration.

Charlie Dearing

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2010, 06:12:07 pm »
I don't have the room for dust collectors lol.  I just blow the dust off as I cut and let the other dust collect on the floor....aaaaaaaaand all over my apartment.  Then eventually break down and clean for eternity.

ripchief

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2010, 06:55:49 pm »
Just because most people are using something, doesn't mean that it's "the best"...The Dewalt is probably a good saw, but sales volume alone doesn't always indicate increased value/quality/satisfaction...It just means that that's what most people are using...It probably happened something along the lines of, "what saw are you using"?  "Oh, the Dewalt"?  "Well then, maybe that's what I should be using"...Goes to show that people are just like cattle or sheep...Don't make your own decisions, instead just follow the herd.

By law, the person with the most votes is elected president, but it doesn't always mean that "the best" person got the job.

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2010, 09:33:01 pm »
I used to have a Ryobi
Blast
Jimbo

chips

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2010, 10:47:22 pm »
 Well, Rip, I  kinda look at it this way. If 9 out of 10 people/USERS think the 788 is a good saw that has to mean something. It's has a good price tag.... $551 plus change for the saw, stand, lamp and sales tax. The Excaliber was another $250. Might be a better saw tho for all I know. It to has a good rep. The 788 is my 4th scroll saw, and by far the quietest, and has the least vibration of any of them. It's easy to switch blades and it's as fast as any of them when it comes to doing fretwork. The table tilts in either direction while all others I've had only went in one direction. I can't speak for longevity yet, but the talk on the forums is that they're pretty good in that regard. My P20 ($200 more than the 788) after a coupla years of moderate use is starting to make noises it didn't make when I bought it.

So, all in all, I made my decision to buy one, not as the subject title of my message might indicate but rather listening to what was said by all those who are professionals(?) on this and other scrolling Forums, and doing a test drive, so to speak, at the Woodsmith Store where I bought it. I compared it to an Excaliber that was sitting right alongside of it and for the extra money I couldn't see where it was better. I could have bought either, and would have.

As far as I'm concerned the 788 is the best bang for the buck out there.

So. with tongue firmly in cheek you can sign me Mooooo!   ;D

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2010, 10:53:16 pm »
I have also used a Ryobi and broke two then I saw the light.LOL
I now have a Carb-a-tec saw (Hegner lookalike) and have no complaints.
(on the running of it.)

Merlin
Try not! Do,
or do not
There is no try

Yoda "Empire Strikes Back" 1980

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2010, 10:54:51 pm »
Yellow cant be all that good as we can't buy it in New Zealand thats why I am buying green.
Jimbo

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2010, 06:11:52 am »
WoW. Does someone have Yellow Envy. Sounds like it too me. LOLOL.  :o
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

SMF

Teknoromi