Author Topic: Dremel Tool?  (Read 1898 times)

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
Dremel Tool?
« on: May 12, 2012, 10:56:35 am »
I was thinking of buying a dremel tool to use for finishing small items I make. (sanding,shaping,etc.) There are so many different ones with far more accessories than would ever be used, so, I need help and advice from those of you who use this tool.

Tony,aka,Toneman

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
Re: Dremel Tool?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 12:19:19 pm »
I recently bought the dremel 300 for my self. I had been sharing a dremel with my husband (he uses it for sharpening chain saw blades)
It is variable speed, I like that (I think it has 6 levels or so). It doesn't have an infinatly variable speed, I'm ok with that. I would never buy the battery ones, I hate charging batteries.

I have a flex shaft attachment that I bought. I really like it. It is easier to hold while carving then the whole dremel.

The router plunge base is on my things to buy list. It can act as a drill to put holes in the middle of projects when a drill press won't reach.

I have one of the 300 piece attachment sets with sanding and cutting and who knows what bits. the only thing I use are sanding bits. I wouldn't waste my money on the big kit agian. Get an assortment of the different grits and sizes of the sanding drums and flap sanding things and a box to hold them all, way more useful. (I use one of those plastic boxes with 20 or so little compartments)

Offline chelcass

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 01:06:02 pm »
I have two, one battery and one not.  I use the battery powered the most as it is more convenient and I don't have to be bothered with the cord.  My Dremel is the 7700 model and does everything I need it to.  Like Mrs I don't need or use a ton of accessories.  I purchased it at Wal-Marts (believe it or not) and I think it was between 30-40 dollars and came with some starter accessories. They also have two different accessorie kits depending on what you feel you need.  THe 110 acces. is around 20.00 and small set is under 15.00.  My corded *rotary tool* is a DuraMax (off brand) can't remember where I bought it but it was under 10.00 and it also works great for what I want.  There are many many options in all sorts of price ranges.  Buy what you feel you can afford, you can always move up if need be.
ChelCass

Mainewoods

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 01:15:50 pm »
Tony, I have 3 of them, and use one on pretty much each and every project I make.  Whether it's drilling holes, sanding, shaping, routing whatever.  Just a very handy tool to have around, and perfect for when a larger tool is simply overkill.  As for which one to get....get the best one you can afford.  I have two 300's and one 4000.  The 4000 is definitely a better tool than the 300's, but get what your budget can handle.  You won't be sorry!  Don't worry about attachments 'til you come up with a need for one.  The drill press stand gets used more than any of my attachments, but you'll soon figure out which ones you can use and which ones you can do without!  Good luck!

Glen

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 03:04:06 pm »
I have just bought the 4000, it came with loads of attatchments including the flexi shaft and a sanding angle tool. I also bought the plunge router attatchment for it as , like mrsn says, it is useful as a drill alignment tool allowing you to drill accurate holes in your projects. So far I've found it to be a very useful tool.
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

rob roy

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2012, 06:27:39 pm »
Hi Tony.It's the best thing you'll ever buy. I've managed to get through 4 of them over the years. Be careful, as your wife may use it to sharpen the knives lol. The accessories range for it is huge. There are also numerous other accessories made by other manufacturers.
Rob Roy.

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 07:34:57 pm »
Consider a $26 Black and Decker "dremel type tool" I prefer it to dremel.  Walmart has it.
20"Hegner Polymax-3 (2008)
25"Hegner Multimax-3 (1986)

No PHD, just a  DD 214

tux_linux

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2012, 11:59:41 am »
I guess nearly all of us here have at least one Dremel tool. Mine is most times build into the little Dremel router table which I also want to recommend strongly. Great stuff.

SMF

Teknoromi