Author Topic: Scrollsaw Foot Pedal for the DW788?  (Read 15606 times)

ReefDiver

Scrollsaw Foot Pedal for the DW788?
« on: May 22, 2010, 03:59:17 pm »

Hi Steve: I am going to purchase the DW788 saw & wanted to know what pedal to buy & how one goes about hooking it up to the machine? Other than the light & stand, what else would you recommend buying in order to make this a complete scroll saw package?? Any help will be appreciated! Thanks,

Steve

P.S. Thanks for all of those links that you emailed me for purchasing various materials!!

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
Re: Scrollsaw Foot Pedal for the DW788?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 07:09:24 pm »
I added  a foot control to my DeWalt. It is an Olsen. To be honest, I dont rember where I got it but, I think I ordered it from "Sloans Wood Shop". They have the switch for $39.95. In fact, the more I think about it, I'm sure that is where I got it.
You might find something simular cheaper elswhere.
They are not at all hard to hook up. You just plug the foot control into the wall and then plug the saw into the switch and turn on the saw swithch and tape it in the "on" position.
If you have a light, it must be pluged in to the wall outlet seperatly.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

ufgator

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 07:38:10 pm »
I got my foot pedal  (momentary) at Harbor Freight for under $10.00.  Simple hook-up and works great.  Must have blades, I like Flying Dutchman from Mikes Workshop. Just my 2-cents worth.

Happy Scrolling
     Bill

Offline sgood

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Scrollsaw Workshop
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 01:07:32 am »
Hi Steve, most scrollers prefer a dead mans style switch. Woodcraft sells a nice switch
http://www.woodcraft.com/Catalog/ProductPage.aspx?prodid=20868&ss=30f54fdf-1044-4b92-9297-95a800f0873c
You simply plug the scroll saw into the switch and then plug the switch into the wall. As mentioned below it's a good idea to tape over the machine on/off switch to keep dust out of the switch.

Besides the light and stand buy high quality blades like Flying Dutchman. Other supplies to keep on hand are spray adhesive, clear box tape, a protractor to set the blade square and plenty of wood.

cloetpatrick

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 03:08:09 am »
 :) My machine is a small machine Fret not expensive at all, about 200 dollards, and I made myself a foot of wood and switch the machine that I removed. The connection is made with cords for connecting computers! ...

My machine is a small machine Fret not expensive

My pedal manufacture wood.

Here we see the switch

Here, the computer cord connects the pedal to the machine.

Gary

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 10:34:56 am »
Hi ReefDiver
       In case you were not aware since you plan to buy a Dewalt Scroll Saw.
Grizzly has it with Light and Stand for $449 plus shipping.  For me it would be 20.00 shipping.

http://grizzly.com/products/DW788-7880-7881-20-Scroll-Saw-W-Stand-And-Light/H7414

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 10:15:15 pm »
That 'Grizzly' price is what helped me in my negotiations with WoodCraft to get a good deal locally.

Can't disclose exact terms but if you hae a WoodCraft store close take the prinout of the Grizzly page and go talk to them.

~~~GrayBeard~~~

BTW...Grizzly may get in trouble with DeWalt over that pricing!

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2010, 01:04:50 am »
I got the new saw hooked up and I am using the same 'deadman' switch as I did on the ol' Craftsman. Got it from Harbor Freight for $9.99 plus tax and it works fine.

I got me some yellow tape to tape the switch 'on' and gonna add some 'racing stripes'.

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2010, 05:36:58 am »
I got my foot switch from Sears years ago.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

SMF

Teknoromi