Author Topic: Scroll saw dust collection  (Read 11444 times)

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Scroll saw dust collection
« on: January 02, 2012, 07:08:50 pm »
I have a dust collector that I use to collect dust and chips from most of my woodworking tools including my table saw, jointer, planer, band saw, router table and all of my sanders. Lately I have been clamping the 4" collector hose to the table of my scroll saw. So I decided to do something more permanently. I used two 2 1/2" hoses with fitting to mount above and below the table: http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2021187/28973/212-Dust-Source-Rigid-Flex-Set.aspx. I used zip ties to mount the top hose to the upper arm and the the 4" hose to the leg of the stand. The hose does not add much weight to the upper arm.
I haven't given it a thorough workout yet, but it seams to do very well so far!
Dan In Southern California

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: Scroll saw dust collection
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 07:12:24 pm »
More
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 07:18:59 pm by dgman »

math2010

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 07:15:32 pm »
Wow! I guess there's no more dust when you're working!!!

tux_linux

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 08:05:24 pm »
nice. That should catch a lot of dust. You have a professional shop vac system I guess?

At this point we should mention to NOT use drain tubes. Those are loading static energy through the dust and are therefor able to ignite the dust and burn the complete house.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 08:41:04 pm »
nice. That should catch a lot of dust. You have a professional shop vac system I guess?

At this point we should mention to NOT use drain tubes. Those are loading static energy through the dust and are therefor able to ignite the dust and burn the complete house.
Not true Torsten. There are no documented cases of static electricity igniting saw dust in a home or professional shop. Here in the U.S it is common to use PVC or ABS plastic tubes in home shops. If it is a concern it is easy to ground the system with copper wire.
I have been using my dust collector with plastic tubing for over ten years without a problem!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 08:43:37 pm by dgman »

Offline KarlB

• Naples, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 10:10:24 pm »
Wow, those are bright...do they allow you to work with the lights off?  ;D ::)

Seriously it looks like you can capture a lot of your dust.  Where is your vac at and how loud is it?  Let us know how it does.  I'm curious on how the lower port works or if you'll have to add a smaller fitting?

Thanks for the views.

Karl

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 10:54:10 pm »
Wow, those are bright...do they allow you to work with the lights off?  ;D ::)

Seriously it looks like you can capture a lot of your dust.  Where is your vac at and how loud is it?  Let us know how it does.  I'm curious on how the lower port works or if you'll have to add a smaller fitting?

Thanks for the views.

Karl, I don't use a shop vac. I use a dedicated dust collector: http://www.pennstateind.com/store/DC1BXL-1M.html. A dust collector is designed to attach to large woodworking machines. They are designed for high volume not high velocity like a shop vac, so the larger the hose, the better. That is why I am using two 2 1/2" hoses. Mine is at least half as loud as a standard shop vac. I use a home built first stage separator that collects 95% of the debris. I only have to empty the lower bag about once a year.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 11:53:39 pm by dgman »

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 03:23:14 am »
Hey Dan, I made almost the same setup. Just a suggestion, the 2 1/2" hose with fitting below the table, if you mount it directly below the table angle adjustment knob attaching it between the two front legs (give enough room to adjust the table when needed) the dust and debris will fall down into the fitting, taking advantage of gravity. That is the way I have mine mounted and it works great. Very little if any dust and debris on the floor or the saw.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline beginner

• Maker of custom fire wood
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 10:14:41 am »
I went all out for my dust collection.  It's called a Broom
Jim

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 10:23:21 am »
My "Dust Collection System"....

Sweep Floor, pick up dust and put in trash bag.
Open Garage Door.
Turn on 30" Fan on High Speed and point toward door.
Hook up leaf blower and remove dust, venting toward exterior.
Turn off Blower and Fan.
Close garage door.
Go get libation.

May not be the most efficient or Best system but it sure is easy and CHEAP!

~~~GB~~~

« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 02:12:14 pm by GrayBeard »
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2012, 01:48:53 pm »
I like your system best GB, I might just have to adopt it  ;D
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

ChuckD

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2012, 03:39:34 pm »
I like that Gb, It is a lot like mine except I use Vacuums.  They are not as loud as my dust collector and I do have them set as far from the scrollsaw as I can get them.  I can't hear them over the sound of the scrollsaw.  The main thing is the dust is not flying around the air and attaching itself to clothes, shelves, lungs etc.  Great job.  Good Luck  :)

tux_linux

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2012, 04:46:49 pm »
Dan, It does not mean that all plastic-pipes are not good. There are also some materials, that work fine and do not have static charge. Also are some systems build on a high air velocity, that prevents such effects.

In Germany are PVC-Pipes in dust collection systems not allowed.
I know about at least 2 wood shops that have definitely burned down due to static charge in such pipes.
You should also be able to feel that static charge on such pipes by just touching them.

The Principles of Static Electricity in a Dust Collection System

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2012, 02:19:45 pm »
If you are worried about the static you can ground the pipes by running wire through them
Jimbo

thirsty

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2012, 03:28:23 pm »
Why? not a lot of dust to require that much over the top gear ?

SMF

Teknoromi