Author Topic: Enlarging Small Shelf Pic  (Read 2375 times)

saggioculo

Enlarging Small Shelf Pic
« on: September 03, 2011, 01:09:36 am »
I was wondering if someone can tell me how to enlarge the small shelf
(http://www.stevedgood.com/smallshelf.pdf) so it prints out on two pages.  I need the shelf itself to be 12 inches long and 4 inches wide.  For the life of me, I can not figure out how to do this.
Thank You
Anne

Chachi

Re: Enlarging Small Shelf Pic
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 01:15:21 am »
Hello Anne Did you resize it up to 100% if you have done that you may need to copy and paste it into Photo shop or paint or something as such to resize it even more that way it will be the size you want.... Good luck to you  Happy cuuting to you.

Offline kimb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 01:19:22 am »
I use PosteRazer. Its a free program you can download. You can make any pattern as big as you want to and it shows you how many pages and what will be printed on each page. Pretty neat program.

Kim

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 02:32:48 am »
You beat me to it Kim! Ditto from me.
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Offline TripleB

• Simply put, I love Scrolling!
    • View Profile
    • Scroll Saw Paradise
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, 03:54:29 am »
Hi Anne,

Steve post all his patterns as a pdf file, which makes it more difficult to manipulate. If you have a program that will convert a pdf file to a jpeg file then you can take it there, save the file then upload it to the PosteRazor, here's the link  http://posterazor.en.softonic.com/ to make it larger. It's a small download and it's a small learning curve to learn how to use it. Just do what it says and you'll be all right.

Another way to do it is to print out the pattern directly from Steve's site, scan it, and make sure you save it to a file that you'll know where to find it. Then when photo razor ask you to input an image just upload the file that you saved and follow the rest of the directions.

PosteRazor will not accept a pdf file, that's why it needs to be in a format (.jpeg) that it will accept. 

Good Luck
Bob

PS... Yes there are other ways to do this, but I thought I would keep it simple.

tux_linux

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011, 05:26:50 am »
Sollution Nr.3:

Open the PDF and make a screenshot from it. A fine program for this is Fast Stone Capture - Version 5.3 is available as freeware, newer versions are Shareware.
Save it as a PNG-File and you can work on it, may be modify it a little to suite your needs.

Problem can be that you get not matching sizes on multiple part projects. Benefit is that you can compose a pattern sheet with multiple patterns on it.

Mainewoods

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2011, 07:47:34 am »
Solution #3.1

GIMP can import directly from a PDF file and it's free.  Then, like Torsten said, save it as a PNG.  Then open it with PosteRazor (also free) and print it to what ever size you like.

Hope this helps.  :)

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2011, 10:56:43 am »
Solution 3.2

Print it as is and then take it to an office supply place and use their enlarging copiers to make it any size you want up to 11 x 17.

I have a folder of projects that I am taking to Office Depot this afternoon.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Chachi

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2011, 11:49:23 am »
SHe wants it 12" long blown up to full size (100%) would make it around that long Not everyone know that when Steve puts sends out patterns they need to resize them (guilty) when I first started cutting his Patterns I was cutting them as they came in the E-mail then I asked him (Steve) about it and he told me they need to be blown up to 100% oh well that changed everything for me..... lol I was a greenhorn when it came to Steves patterns... so anyone that is just starting to cut Steves Patterns be sure to Resize to 100% before printing In the PDF you will have a tools button click on the drop down menu where it says Select and zoom then click Snapshot tool then click select all right click it  then copy and paste it into a folder in your picture file and then open photoshop or another program to save it as a Jpeg and then print it out it will then printout at full size with just the black lines showing if you have your printer set to greyscale (black and white printing)  and that is all there is to do.

Mainewoods

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2011, 02:01:45 pm »
@Chachi
She wants it 12 inches long.  100% on Steve's pattern is less than a full 8.5X11 sheet, making the pattern approximately 9 - 10 inches long.  Adobe Acrobat, along with most other PDF handling software can't adjust for overlap if you print beyond the 100% of the original layout, making lining up two or pages extremely tricky.  PosteRazor is very easy to use and gives you almost unlimited ability to print it how you want it.  You control the amount of overlap and the overall size you want, then after it prints, you simply line the sheets up at the overlap, tape together, and you're all set.  I've got 3 different 11X14 patterns I'm working on for Christmas presents, all printed full size on standard letter size paper using PosteRazor.  And no trip to the copy store needed  ;).  I'm a cheapskate when it comes to these things, so the easier and cheaper I can get things accomplished the better!  :)

Chachi

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2011, 03:03:58 pm »
Yeah I have that program now as well But I guess it must be my printer I adjust it in the settings to Cut poster size and it gives me a cut line and a paste line with an overlap blank so it can be fitted right over top of it sorry I sometimes forget My printer is set up for doing Only these patterns My bad...
  But people still need to resize up to 100% when Printing the patterns don't do like me and cut it small as all Heck.
I for one want to thank you all for the info I'm still learning from yall and more then likely will always be.

Mainewoods

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2011, 07:23:07 pm »
No problem Chachi! :D  She has lots of options available to her, and I was just trying to point out an easy one!

saggioculo

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2011, 11:05:40 pm »
I really should have mentioned that when it comes to programs (ie: photoshop, MS Paint, Gimp, ect...) I'm a complete novice and have alot of difficulty understanding how to use them correctly. Changing picture from what it is now to a jpg is beyond my brain's capabilities.  ;D 
I've honestly have spent hours trying to figure this out.  I wish I noticed this forum on Steve's blog sooner!!  I'm going to try some of your great suggestions and let you know how I make out. In the meantime...thank you all so very much for your help, advice, suggestions.  I truly do appreciate it!!

Thank You
Anne

saggioculo

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2011, 11:52:50 pm »
OK....I downloaded PosteRazor.  Now...don't laugh at me...I can't figure it out.  Yah...I know...kind of scary knowing I use sharp powertools isn't it?  Well at least I don't own any firearms!!  Anyway, like I said...I want the actual image to be 4 inches wide and 12 inches long.  Might anyone throw some pointers my way on this PosteRazor thingy?  I will be grateful beyond words!

Thanks
Anne
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 12:35:17 am by saggioculo »

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2011, 04:10:20 am »
Anne
First open the program, when the blank page opens click the folder top right of the page, select a photo or drawing from your computer,
Then click "next"
Click "custom"
select the size you want.
NEXT select the overlap you want 1/2 to 1" is plenty. try it at 1/4" if you want.
select position,
NEXT choose size and alignment
NEXT I disable the PDF box you decide, I prefer working with JPG images.
Click save the poster.
On any of these stages you can go back and change it if you don't like how it looks.
I recommend you play with it a few times before doing a test print to see the finished product.
Give a shout if you need more help, someone will chime in.
Good luck,
Gabby

Oh that will be a dollar two ninety eight, please remit by carrier pigeon! ASAP

Snicker,
Gabby strikes again.
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

SMF

Teknoromi