Author Topic: elmers spay adhsive  (Read 3543 times)

redneck_inc

elmers spay adhsive
« on: May 02, 2010, 02:14:14 pm »
has anyone used elmers spay adhsive i just bought 2 cans at home depot its a third of the cost of the 3m products i think i payed 5.89 a can

Marshall

Re: Elmers spay adhsive ! !
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 03:32:50 pm »
I brought a can at Wal-Mart a while back for less than 5 bucks and it worked fine for all my needs .............Marshall   ;)

redneck_inc

Re: elmers spay adhsive
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 03:38:16 pm »
cool i was hoping it was decent alot cheaper than others just have to wait for my son to get out of my shop ( he is building a hood for his salt water fish tank ) so i can get in there and try it myself 

chips

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 04:16:24 pm »
 I assume you're talking about Elmer's Craft Bond? If so I'm just about done with my first can of it. I tend to spray this kind of stuff on a little heavy and have found the Elmer's really sticks. Wiping on some Mineral Spirits and letting sit a while lets you peel it right off. I like it because some of the other stuff tends to loosen up as you're sawing so Elmer's doesn't bother me in that regard.

redneck_inc

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 04:24:32 pm »
thanks for the reply chips i bought 2 cans to try

Offline MadHatter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 04:42:28 pm »
i also use elmers craft bond, it does tend to stick very good unless sprayed lightly. i remove it by lifting a corner of my pattern then using a blow dryer and lift at same time, it peels off pretty easy, but your fingers do get hot from the dryer while lifting pattern lol.

Marshall

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 05:07:50 pm »
I use a cheap heat gun from Harbor Freight does a better job for me , and if any glue residue is left over I use a automotive lacquer thinner to take the glue off . The Automotive Lacquer is a real cheap thinner that you can get in the 5 gallon form at automotive paint stores ..........Marshall

redneck_inc

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 08:48:30 pm »
i wish i lived closer to a harour frieght lot of good deals but by the time i cross the border and drive there the savings are gone

garyinnevada

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 09:20:15 am »
Ive tried all the different Spraty adhesives and Ive come to the conclusion that the 3m product is by far the best. I used the Duro brand from Lowes and H.D. for years. I pay twice as much for the 3m, BUT..The pattern Never lifts! Its worth it to me to not have to deal with the paper lifting off the wood. Im also only using half the amount with the 3m over the others.
In the long run, 3m is by far the better product.

Gary

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2010, 10:25:27 am »
I also stick with the 3M and have purchased a 'brayer' from Michaels to firmly roll down the pattern so it definitely sticks to the under layer of 'painters tape' that I apply to the wood first. Makes for easy removal of the pattern and leaves very little residue.
Wood, painters tape, pattern and then clear packing tape.

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

garyinnevada

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2010, 10:37:03 am »
Whats a Brayer?

daneklund

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2010, 10:41:58 am »
A brayer is a hand roller used in printmaking techniques to spread ink or to offset an image from a plate to paper. They can be made of rubber, sponge, acrylic, or leather. Rubber brayers come in varieties of hardness and are primarily used for relief printing. ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brayer

Dan

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2010, 11:46:58 am »
Redneck,

You can go to Harbor Frieght on line and find sometimes better deals.

Dan

Offline Joleet

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2010, 12:08:59 pm »
Being new to this site, I have found that the members here are very friendly and have a wealth of information.. I too am dedicated to the 3M product since it holds tight and goes farther.  I also do the wood > Blue Painters Tape > Pattern > clear packing tape and it really clings.  I also use the spray directly on hardwoods and use mineral spirits to remove the pattern without any residue.  I am partial to using 1/2" oak for my portraits and go frameless and include a base so that they can either hang it on the wall or put it on it's stand.

Love the site.....Ron
Ron... Twin Falls, Idaho

Me Slow?  I get up in the morning with nothing to do and go to bed at night with half of it done!

Joesawdust

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2010, 01:50:06 pm »
I used to use it all the time, but can't find it in my neck of the woods anymore. Never had any problems with it.

Greg

SMF

Teknoromi