Author Topic: How to adjust blade motion on DeWalt 788  (Read 4767 times)

Offline MOONIE

• View Profile
How to adjust blade motion on DeWalt 788
« on: April 29, 2011, 10:33:08 pm »
While cutting on the DeWalt 788, the work wants to jump up and down.  I saw your vedio on the Excaliber and you talked about how to make an adjustment to correct front/back motion.  My Excalber 16 is fine but  I think that front/back motion should be adjusted my the DeWalt.    Where do I find instructions on how to make adjustment on the Dewalt 788?   Also, how do I tell if I have a Type One  or  a Type Two?   Thank you. Bob Moon
MOONIE

msdameng

Re: How to adjust blade motion on DeWalt 788
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 10:06:52 am »
This is a very frequently asked question on almost every forum.  Rick Hutcheson has a fix
on his website at www.scrollsaws.com which involves sliding the lower arm out to reduce the front to back motion.  I have been looking at this and considering it the past week or so on my dw788 that I purchased in 2010 (Type 2 I believe).  It appears to me that the front to back motion is not necessarily a result of the lower arm being too short, but a general alignment issue where the table does not run parallel with the upper and lower arm which results in the blade not being perpendicular to the table in the front to back direction.  I took the bolt that holds the back of the table to the lower arm out. Then cut a small wedge on the scrollsaw to slide under the rear bracket and raised it up until the table was perpendicular to the blade (front to back) with an engineers square.  I temporarily secured mine down with cable ties to try it out.  The front to back motion is definitely decreased since the blade is now running perpendicular to the table.  To me, the saw seems to cut much better.  I would definitely like to hear other's thoughts on this, but this seems to be working for me right now.

Offline termite

• View Profile
Re: How to adjust blade motion on DeWalt 788
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 11:20:16 am »
i believe  type 1 saws were made in Canada. type 2 in Taiwan. you can look on your motor &
find this information. i will check my saw & make sure this is right.

SMF

Teknoromi