Author Topic: Finally started cutting wood  (Read 4139 times)

Tako Kichi

Finally started cutting wood
« on: April 12, 2011, 10:53:10 pm »
Having been held up with other projects since my new scroll saw came home last week I finally started cutting some wood tonight. Nothing fancy just a name plate out of some scrap 1x2 (actually 3/4" x 1 5/8") pine stock I had lying around from a previous project. It did lead to some interesting discoveries however, some good, some bad!

1. The 'tool-less' screw clamps I made for pinless blades are going to have to be modified as the screws are fractionally too short and the knob nut fouls on the holder body before the screws tighten fully on the blade.

2. I need more light as my own shadow from the overhead room light falls right over the work area and makes seeing the blade/line difficult.

3. Tri-focal spectacles are a bear when it comes to scroll work and I got a sore neck from constantly moving my head around trying to find a 'sweet spot' where I could see the blade/line in focus.

4. The pinless blades stocked by my local hardware store (Pegas brand, #4 skip tooth - they have a range of blades there including spiral cut blades) seem to do a good job cutting the 3/4" pine with no breaking or burning (so far) and next to no fuzzies on the back face. I just grabbed one pack to try as the saw only came with two thick pin type blades but having a usable local source for blades could be very useful.

Tomorrow I am going to try a couple of pairs of my old single magnification spectacles to see if they are any better and I am also thinking of picking up a magnifier/lamp to see if that improves things. I have seen people on here mention the cheap 'reading' glasses and that may be an option too.

All in all it was an interesting hour or so even if I did only make three internal cuts on my project.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: Finally started cutting wood
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 11:15:03 pm »
Hey Larry, Sounds like your are having some fun! For 3/4" pine I would use a #5 skip tooth blade. The #4 will work OK, but a #5 will cut better in the 3/4" pine.
As for the light, I would check out your nearest office supply store for a lighted magnifier. I have had one for years, and could not scroll without it!
Dan In Southern California

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 11:28:52 pm »
Got to start somewhere Larry!
I'm near sighted as a bat!
If i have my contact lenses installed, I have to use a pair of readers (drugstore kind) along with my combination lamp and magnifier to see the line and the blade. I picked mine up at a yard sale a few years ago. I think if were to buy one new I'd look at the flexible ones available now, mine looks sort of like a crane and can be awkward to position it also has a circular flourescent tube type bulb.
I also have a pair of "emergency" prescription glasses that are graduated for far and near, and only use the magnifier with them. Had to do some experimenting to find just the right combination for me.
 I suspect you will also.
Make lots of dust.
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Tako Kichi

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 12:08:37 am »
Thanks for the replies guys. As to my eyes, I had perfect sight up until I was about 45 years old and they have been getting steadily worse ever since (getting older sucks!...lol). With the tri-focals I talked my eye doctor into specifying the lenses so that the top 1/3 is for far distance (so that I can see to drive), the middle 1/3 is virtually plain glass and the lower 1/3 has a magnifying lens so that I could see to work on small electronic circuits which require precision soldering (but they appear to be too strong for scroll work unless I put my nose almost on the upper arm!) I don't normally wear any glasses when working on the computer or around the house but I am due for another eye exam within the next 6 months so who knows what will happen then.

Maybe an illuminated magnifier is the way to go.

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 12:47:45 am »
The illuminated magnifiers really are handy when doing fine work.  I had one of the flexible neck, led types but it was recalled.  Then I was given one of the old folding crane types with the circular flourescent bulb.  I much prefer the circular bulb type!  I did have a problem in thata when a blade broke sometimes the saw's upper arm would hit the bulb and break it, so I cut a plastic clear doughnut and attached it under the bulb.  Problem solved!
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 01:04:32 am »
Hey Diver Bill, I sure would like to find a brighter tube for mine, as for the broken tube problem I haven't experienced that yet I always make sure it clears the upper arm. I do like the idea of a plastic shield. did you make it as a disc or just a ring? I've noticed the dust wants to cling to the lense, and I'm afraid plastic would attract it even more if a static charge builds up.
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 07:20:37 am »
Ditto on the magnifier light.  I have the progressive vision problem too and my light helps a bunch.

Offline wedo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 09:13:33 am »
I also need help to see the line for scrolling. Since I am almost always at the same distance from the blade, I have gone to a fixed reading glass. I just measured how far I was from the blade and went to the dollar store and tried different power glasses while reading fine print at that same distance. Its about the same power as what you would used for the computer, maybe a little stronger. Works great, can move my neck around so I don't get stiff and I can leave then at the saw so they're always there when I need them.
Bill

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 09:57:29 am »
I have readers, an illuminated visor with various magnifying lenses, and the light.  I use the light for fine stuff, and readers for everything else.  Gabby, I made a doughnut shaped ring out of clear acrylic.  Works really well.  My light attracts dust too, so when not in use I turn it upside down.  Doesn't eliminate the dust but it helps.  I don't recall the wattage, but the bulbs are available @ the big boxes and seem bright enough for me.  Maybe my RBI saw is more prone to breaking them than your saw is.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline Crabbyboater

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 11:56:21 am »
Another source to consider for the light is Harbor Freight.  They sell two types, but the one I bought and really like has a circular fluorescent bulb, but also has a hinged lid on top of the light that covers the magnifier portion when you're not using it.  Eliminates the dust gathering.  I have the RBI Hawk 220vs, and left off the clamp portion of the mount.  This left a tube that fit perfectly into the hole RBI made for such lights.  Cost was about $30.
Your web footed friend in Seattle, WA.

Offline crusty59

• View Profile
    • Wood Crafts by Chris
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2011, 12:24:01 pm »
I was at a neighbors garage sale over the weekend and found a magnifier with a regular light bulb. I am very anxious to get it set up. They gave it to me for free also.I wear bifocals glasses just for my work and seeing the computer. I had the eye place make them for me.

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2011, 01:41:04 pm »
Are magnifiers useful if you don't have bifocals or reading glasses?

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2011, 01:45:48 pm »
Katie, Magnifiers are especially helpful on very detailed patterns.  My son-in-law doesn't wear glasses and can't cut without it.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2011, 02:16:35 pm »
Katie, I don't wear glasses although I should, But I could not scroll without mine!
Dan In Southern California

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2011, 05:21:59 pm »
Thanks! I might have to get one to try out.

SMF

Teknoromi