Author Topic: My scroll saw table  (Read 2780 times)

Offline budprine

• View Profile
My scroll saw table
« on: November 18, 2010, 08:15:45 pm »
I showed this on another thread and had some nice comments.  I share it here also.
(The first)  topic made me think I'm doing something VERY different but I really like it.  I bought my scroll saw without a stand so I had to build my own.  After considering what I liked and didn't like as well as what I thought ought to be added I came up with the following design.
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/h1ucOysAKslk1J-_V9iDCg?feat=directlink

Basically it is a 3/4"plywood box, on casters, with a drawer for storage of blades, tools, etc.

I roll it to the center of my garage and it's caster drop into a control joint in the concrete floor so it does not roll any further. The two collapsible side wings provide places to set parts in progress of being cut. The area below the saw holds an old salt bag for scrap storage.
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/iXTbXoqX0r4aszoI2C8-kA?feat=directlink

As for tilt, I can tilt up to 12 inches.  I have found 7 inches is my favorite cutting angle.
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/l16OGzTjgqULLkQNBLtbgQ?feat=directlink

Since this photo was taken I have added a bungee cord around the step support to prevent it from falling from vibration.
For the record I've got about $30.00 tied up in it.
best regards,

Bud Prine

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
Re: My scroll saw table
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 08:30:21 pm »
I thought my saw was tilted a lot.  It's at 3 1/2 inches...LOL  I'd get aggravated with stuff sliding off on the floor every time I let go.  That is a very functional table though.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline budprine

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 08:37:18 pm »
Thanx Dunk. 

I just don't let go until the part is on the wing.
best regards,

Bud Prine

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 08:41:44 pm »
Great idea for saw stand, doubles as a work bench when you are not sawing and a space saver
Jimbo

Offline MadHatter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 02:19:35 am »
my saw is tilted between 5 an 7 inches. i bought my dewalt without the stand, instead i use a drafting table that i got from local high school that were discarding items, i made  a lip on the front of the table by using a lattice slat held with screws on the front of the table to prevent the saw from sliding into my lap, i also have a carpet square under my saw, underneath the the saw toward the back has an indention under it which grips the back of the drafting table. as for as the dust, i use a garbage bag that is held by magnets under the front of saw, it gets the majority of the dust and fall outs.

Offline Kepy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 06:24:57 am »
I like the idea of the bag held by magnets.  Easily removed.  I have some magnets from old microwaves that would be perfect.  I also use them to hold blade change wrenches on my table saw so I don't have to go looking for them.

Rightarm

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 02:02:57 am »
    bud, thats a great idea. I've been kicking around some ideas for mounting my saw. I'd have to be able to move it around. Right now it sits on a make shift work bench. I also like the drawer for storage. Dave 8)

Offline budprine

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 01:32:40 pm »
Hey Dave,
I took my measurements of the saw, length & width, increased both by 2" and that became the "plan view" dimensions of the box (26 3/4" x 14"). I cut 3 pieces of plywood for the top, bottom and tilt piece to those dimensions.  The box sides are 30" high. 
Tops, sides and shelf, for drawer, are rabbeted into each other by 3/8".  The box parts were then glued together, no screws, nails or brads.
In the photos you'll notice I built an outrigger for the front casters to better prevent tipping over.
After all that I added the tilt table with brass hinges, the wings with piano hinges and trimmed the box with "1 by" pine trim.
Ain't nuthin I'd change.
best regards,

Bud Prine

Rightarm

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2010, 07:51:57 pm »
   Thanks Bud. I hope you don't mind if I use some of your ideas. I think your stand would work great for me. Dave 8)

Offline budprine

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2010, 11:08:39 am »
Be my guest. 
There's a saying like: imitation is the highest form of flattery.
Enjoy
best regards,

Bud Prine

malc

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2010, 11:54:22 am »
I have my saw tilted up 2 inches, I might try a little higher just to see.
malc :-\

SMF

Teknoromi