Author Topic: I'm thinking about getting a router  (Read 4963 times)

Offline Kepy

• View Profile
Re: I'm thinking about getting a router
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2010, 10:39:35 am »
Rather than a router table, I have my routers set up in a cube that is about 15" square.  They are inexpensive and I have multiple routers set so I don't have to change bits or reset the router.  I currently have ogee, roundover, 2 sizes rabbeting, and a 3/4" straight for cutting mortises.  I rarely use any other bits but do have a free standing plunge router when needed.

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2010, 11:25:05 am »
Kepy,
we would love to see a some pics of your set up.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

kp91

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2010, 03:14:27 pm »
I would avoid at all costs a router table with a ridged aluminum surface.  A long time ago I had a router mounted in the extension wing of my table saw, and that ridged surface would sometimes catch the wood as I worked.

I recommend getting a simple base plate, and mounting your router to it.  you can then pop the router in and out of a table for changing bits, or working above the table.

My 'other' forum has lots of ideas for simple and elaborate router tables, as well as advice on purchasing or building your own.

A lot of the decision depends on what you do the most of.  I have a big table, but there are a bunch of guys who have made 'small' tables using trim routers.  The possibilities are endless.

http://www.routerforums.com/table-mounted-routing/21533-so-you-want-buy-router-table.html

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2010, 03:25:10 pm »
I am building the dremel router table shown above.  Thanks guys
Julie, what dremel would you recommend and where do I get the router blades for it??
I'm from North Dakota

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2010, 04:00:50 pm »
Judy...I just bought this one to replace one that 'shot craps'...
Good basic kit and the bits are available at Amazon also.

http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-300-1-24-Variable-Speed-Rotary/dp/B002BAHFBE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1285963148&sr=8-1

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

northie66

« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2010, 04:49:20 pm »
This is the dremel I have... the 400 xpr.  Is that going to be a problem you think?

http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-Rotary-Attachments-Accessories-Storage/dp/B000K8MQ04/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1285966118&sr=1-6

Oh, and btw... now I also need a keyhole bit.   ;)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 04:53:51 pm by Janet »

chief

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2010, 01:36:38 am »
Well I have 3 routers, one is always used in the router table because it is 3 1/4 hp.  The 1 1/2 hp is used in the router table and hand held.  The small trim router is always used hand held.  My router table is made of solid oak and cabinet grade birch plywood and is a floor stand.  I made it myself.  The router is an awesome tool and has many uses other than shaping the edges of pieces.  If you are just using it for scrollsaw type stuff just get a 1 1/2 hp and mount it in a table top router table.  I recommend a variable speed router. 

jon

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2010, 05:07:55 am »
i would not go threw the expence of building a stand alone router table. they eat up alot of shop space. iv seen people install them in a workbench, on the wing of there table saw, in a cabinet et, i have 4 routers, my 3.25hp is installed in my table saw wing, (never had any problems) my 1.50 hp is mounted under my work bench, i also have a variable speed 1.50 hand held, and a dremel. the dremel will work best on small projects if you can control it but if you wanted a router to do more. get a 1.50 hp variable speed and mount it. to a table top table as chief mentiond, unless you have a really big shop and can afford to lose the shop space to a dedicated router table.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2010, 06:54:58 am »
If you are going to buy the Dremel router table - the Dremel 400 is not a good fit.  It is too fat.  The Dremel 300 works just fine and the above post from GrayBeard is a good buy.  They generally run 59.95 at lowes and home depot so 49.95 is a good deal.  As far as the bits.  There is a 6 piece set available at most hardware stores.  I have found them online and on e-bay.  You can get them individually from dremel but I find I use all 6 so when I need to replace - I just follow the path of least resistance and go to the Depot. 

SMF

Teknoromi