Author Topic: Hi from West Virginia  (Read 2430 times)

Offline Deedeemacaw48

• View Profile
Hi from West Virginia
« on: August 29, 2016, 07:59:47 pm »
Hi everyone,I'm Deedeemacaw and this is my first time getting on a forum.    I am a very new beginner. I bought a Porter-Cable saw last week and I've watched videos all week on Youtube.  I'm having problems with breaking blades but am learning to follow the lines. Some of my blades are bending at the top.  These are cheap blades from Lowe's but I have ordered some  Flying Dutchman blades. 
I am a 68yr old woman,  retired from working in a library for 24 1/2 years and wanted to try a new craft.  My husband bowls 5 times a week plus,  he is the assoc. manager so I need to keep myself busy.. ;) Thank you for having this great forum

Offline Wooden Lace

• View Profile
Re: Hi from West Virginia
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 09:47:28 pm »
Hi and welcome!  Nice to have another "old gal" like me...you've ony got me by 2 years.   You'll soon be as addicted as the rest of us, so get used to it.

Sounds like you are possibly pushing too hard and that's why the blades are bending and breaking.  Let the blade do it's work and don't force it.  Or your blade may be too small for the thickness and type of wood you are using.  You just need to practice, practice and practice tons more, but you'll get the hang of it.

You've found a great place to learn and pick up tips, plus plenty of free patterns.  Look back through some of the older posts and you'll  find answers to questions you didn't even know to ask!  So many people on this forum with so much knowledge and they readily share it.

Glad you joined us.
Nancy

Nancy from Washington state
I'd give up chocolate, but I'm no quitter!

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 07:41:04 am »
Hi and welcome to the forum.  I'm Julie from Texas.  Glad you joined us.  This was my first forum, too.  I've been here since the beginning. 

Offline Deedeemacaw48

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 01:05:07 pm »
Thanks for the warm welcome.  I really loved trying new crafts. Ive done quilting, some wood carving, and power carving egg shells. I've also done some art work such as a mural on a flood wall and a pen and ink Christmas card for a church  I'm sure I'll have a lot of questions as time goes on.

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2016, 03:34:57 pm »
Welcome! I am Tony,aka,Toneman from Paris, Texas.

Offline Deedeemacaw48

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2016, 12:23:34 am »
Hi Toneman, Nice to hear from you..

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2016, 02:27:55 pm »
Welcome from Oregon.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline Deedeemacaw48

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2016, 11:59:51 pm »
Hi Dunk,
I am slowly learning a few things on the saw.  I've made one trivet and one butterfly..  They are not that great, but I can see a little improvement at a time.  I am determined to learn, I've only had my saw a few weeks.   At least I am not breaking my blades as much...

SMF

Teknoromi