Author Topic: Belt Sander question  (Read 2314 times)

Offline Bunky67

• View Profile
Belt Sander question
« on: July 26, 2016, 08:47:55 pm »
I picked up a belt and disc sander combo.   It uses a 1"x42" belt.   I installed the belt, but not sure what this pulley is supposed to do  I tried putting the cover on and sliding the pulley towards the belt and tighten it but it moves with the cover and I don't see what it's supposed to do.

Anyone ever saw onelike this?

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
Re: Belt Sander question
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 07:17:29 am »
It's hard to tell from the picture but it looks like a spring tensioner to take up slack in the sanding belt.  Can you rotate the small pulley either clockwise or counter-clockwise around the large pulley?  Does the small pulley resist being rotated?  Is the belt tight as it is now installed?

From what I can see, my best guess would be that you rotate the small pulley counter-clockwise (with the belt slack) and pass the belt "under" the small pulley.  This would maintain tension as the belt stretches.

The problem (?) with this is that the sanding (rough) side of the belt would be running on the face of the small pulley.

Having said all this, I could be all wet but hope it gives you some ideas.  Someone else might have more experience with this type of machine and be able to give a definite answer.

Best of luck,
Jim
Using a Delta 40-690 in the Montreal, Quebec (Canada) area

Offline Dakota Saw Dust

• Sioux Falls, South Dakota, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 01:28:53 pm »
My money goes on the small wheel being a slack take-up wheel.  If I'm right your photo shows the working side of the system on the left with the belt on the right going up in direction. The small "take-up" wheel would be loosened and allowed to swing to the right and apply enough to pressure against the belt on the photo right to take up any slack the belt has as it goes around. I would have thought your operator manual would have explained the small wheels purpose.  Best of luck. Brian

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 02:05:13 pm »
Brian's idea seems right.  I hadn't noticed the clamp bolts on the arm holding the small pulley.  The clamp overcomes my concern about the working side of the belt running on the face of the pulley.

Good catch,
Jim
Using a Delta 40-690 in the Montreal, Quebec (Canada) area

Offline herrwood

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 06:45:56 pm »
Not sure what make yours is but here is a manual for a Grizzley 1x42 (I have this model) and while different from yours it does have a adjustment for the belt take up, yours may be missing a few parts

http://cdn0.grizzly.com/manuals/h8192_m.pdf

Offline Bunky67

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2016, 06:55:27 pm »
I have the cover and the screws that screw into it   unless there's a spring missing I don't see anything missing     the belt travels down so I don't see how it could tension     

I checked the grizzly model its different.      I will check the make later and post it.   

Offline Bunky67

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2016, 08:22:02 pm »
Ok its a wholesale tool sander model 3230-0010 I found a manual for a 3230-0020 and it didn't say anything about adjusting the belt or pulley .     

I didn't see any type of spring for the arm or pulley either so I'm assuming that it just keeps the belt off the upright guide for the belt .

Offline Dennis123

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2016, 08:38:45 am »
My ShopSmith Strip Sander has a pulley like that and it allows me to sand inside shapes.  Take a look at the following ShopSmith training video and see if maybe that answers your question (and maybe allows some additional functionality for your new sander).

http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/SS_Archives/SS107/SS107_Strip_Sander.htm

Dennis

Offline Bunky67

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2016, 07:25:42 pm »
Dennis

Your on the right track I went out and removed the belt cover and there was another idler under the table so I re routed the belt and it would work like that. I just need to figure out how to keep the top idler from swinging.

Thanks for all the replies and help.

SMF

Teknoromi