Author Topic: New to the Forum  (Read 2323 times)

Offline Fordy

• View Profile
New to the Forum
« on: June 18, 2016, 01:59:04 pm »
Hi Fellow Scrollers

I am an inexperienced hobby scroller, from Cape Town, South Africa. I have a very limited space to work with wood, and searched for a hobby that would match. Needless to say, I discovered scrolling and about 20 months ago I bought a used Hegner Multicut2, single speed. 

I then started watching all the available youtube videos on scrolling.  I have made a few name plates, and name key rings, and various other starter patterns.  Now I am exploring working on portraits.

My biggest problem is obtaining scrolling resources.  There is no local presence for anything and virtually everything must be imported. This increases my costs, and makes the hobby very expensive. 

However, the fact that I am here means I am forging ahead, and trying to make the best of the situation.  I have a very stressful job, and watching the blade follow the line as I cut through wood has been very soothing and rewarding. And I get to make something, including a small heap of wood dust! What more can I ask for?

Thanks everyone for being part of this forum and allowing me to be a new member.  I look forward to our future interactions.

Kind regards
Tyrone Ford, Hobby Scroller!

Offline don in brooklin on

• View Profile
Re: New to the Forum
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2016, 02:41:29 pm »
Welcome to the forum.

I am from Brooklin, Ontario Canada just outside Toronto.

Looking forward to you posting your work.  Ask any questions and I am sure you will get an answer.

If you have not already you should subscribe to Steve's email as there are great ideas. 

South Africa is also home to one of the great Scroll Saw Artists (Sue Mey).  If you have not connect with her she puts out great emails too.

Don

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2016, 07:49:02 am »
Hello Tyrone and welcome to the forum.  I'm Julie from Texas.  Glad you found us. 

Offline Fordy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2016, 09:16:18 am »
Thanks Don and Julief. At present I am just browsing, amazed by some things members have made. I got lost in the gallery....

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 04:33:47 pm »
Welcome to the forum! I am Tony,aka,Toneman from Paris, Texas. Yes, you may want to contact Sue Mey in South Africa. She has a web site. I believe it is www.scrollsawartist.com

Offline Loskoppie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 02:34:16 am »
Hi 

This is Barbara glad to see you still scrolling.  You have a better scroll machine than me mine is no name.   Yes on the getting stuff.  I just was wondering if you have a branch of the woodworkers Asc. in the Cape.  They might help. 

Offline Loskoppie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2016, 02:52:37 am »
Hi its me Barbara again.

Nice to see a fellow scroller.  Keep going and don't give up that's what I am doing.  I will let you know if I find a place that has any supllies.

SMF

Teknoromi