Author Topic: Pretty new  (Read 2360 times)

Offline Igglepud

• View Profile
Pretty new
« on: June 14, 2016, 08:06:04 pm »
I bought a little Ryobi scroll saw a few months ago. My first project was a Nicholas Cage portrait. Then I managed to make a Rob Zombie lamp (horribly, my neighbor took a router to it to make it somewhat cube shaped) and it actually looks like Rob when you turn it on. Made some hammer and sickles to annoy my co-workers, and then my blade clamps failed.

Long story short, I spent way too much energy trying to get the saw to work and ended up returning it. Now I have a Delta 465 and OH MY GOD! This is how the hobby is supposed to be! I can now finish multiple projects in a day, and I dared to attempt a stack cut today (because I forgot to put painter's tape between the wood and the glue.)

I am working on a Punisher skull now, and with using the saw as a sanding station, my paint jobs are starting to look less like plastic moulding. I have some thin boards, Flying Dutchman blades, and Photoshop. The future looks good!

Offline Igglepud

• View Profile
Re: Pretty new
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 08:08:38 pm »
That's a lie...I forgot, my very, very first project was a rabbit with a flower on it from Steve's blog.

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 11:13:12 am »
You are definitely hooked.  Welcome to the world of scrolling.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 04:35:34 pm »
Welcome! I am Tony,aka,Toneman from Paris, Texas.

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 11:09:37 pm »
Sounds like you are really hooked.  Scrolling is one of the best hobbies I have come across.  It allows you to express your creative side, relieve stress, and have fun.  We are looking forward to seeing your work as you progress... pictures are always welcome.  Oh and before I forget Welcome! I am DW from Mentor, OH.

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

Offline Dannyb

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2016, 09:09:33 am »
Welcome!  Would love to see pics of the rob zomblie lamp

Offline herrwood

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2016, 12:02:39 pm »
I also started with a ryobi its about 20 yrs old and in the basement on a shelf with other tools that have been upgraded. I now use a delwalt and as you have found out a better saw is more fun to work with and fun is what it is about.

Offline gbickham

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2016, 11:55:25 am »
welcome from another newbie, I also tried the ryobi first, used it once and took it back, bought the dewalt and what a difference, does not pay to buy a cheep saw, lol

SMF

Teknoromi