Author Topic: Horse Intarsia  (Read 3074 times)

Claymore

Horse Intarsia
« on: May 03, 2016, 11:06:43 am »
Hi,
Here's my latest Intarsia, it was ordered by the same person who bought the Kite so hopefully she will like it when I deliver it later this week.
Its approx 20" x 14" x 1" and made from Oak/Sycamore/Walnut/Ash and the new Meranti wood I bought last week (the mane and tail) its lovely wood BUT VERY hard and easily blunts blades so very slow process cutiing it and even slower shaping it. As usual now its finished with Chestnut sanding sealer and then 4 coats of Chestnut wax with flatting inbetween coats using the nylon sanding pads which gives it a lovely silky finish.

So after making a bike with 100+ Horsepower here's something a bit slower with 1 HP  :)

Cheers
Brian

Offline pierre62

• View Profile
Re: Horse Intarsia
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 11:19:43 am »
Very nice work.
Thanks for sharing.
Pierre

Offline spirithorse

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 02:46:34 am »
Beautifully done!
Thanks for sharing and God Bless! Spirithorse

Claymore

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 06:34:30 pm »
Cheers!  I made a few changes to the original pattern for the lady so it looked like her daughters own horse, its a nice pattern and pretty easy compared to my motorcycles.Talking of motorcycles.... I have an order for another 2 BMW motorcycles one is a 2002 R1150RT and the other is a 2014 R1200GS Adventure  both have full luggage and I am busy working on the patterns and then its time to butcher some wood lol.
Will keep ya posted on them and also future wildlife ones.

Have fun
Brian

Offline Dannyb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 08:23:42 am »
Awesome Job!!!

Claymore

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2016, 06:46:08 pm »
Cheers Danny!

Offline Hawkdave

• Adelaide, Australia.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2016, 05:41:15 am »
Well done Brian!

I love your choice of timbers, they look very natural for the colour of the horse.

Dave.
My parents must have been psychic, as a child they were always telling me to 'Cut It Out'. So they knew a long time ago that I would become a scroll saw artist.

Offline crusty59

• View Profile
    • Wood Crafts by Chris
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2016, 10:32:24 am »
That really came out nice, I just got an order for a horse

Claymore

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2016, 02:30:08 pm »
Cheers Crusty, what type of horse are you doing? I love doing the horses but my next large intarsia is a 7ft wide Red Kite (Bird) same as my previous one but much bigger. Its for on the wall of the Galloway Red Kite feeding station where they feed 150+ red kites everyday at 2pm an amazing sight to see them diving etc..... its the same lady who ordered the Horse and I now sell my work there which is ideal as its pretty local and i don't need to post the finished work off and risk it getting damaged.
Have fun and look forward to seeing your Horse
Cheers
Brian

Offline crusty59

• View Profile
    • Wood Crafts by Chris
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2016, 01:02:54 pm »
Brian, the horse pattern I will be doing is a judy gale roberts design. Its a mare and fawn. I am so looking forward to trying my hand at horses

SMF

Teknoromi