Author Topic: FIlling voids with a contrasting color.  (Read 4857 times)

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
FIlling voids with a contrasting color.
« on: May 03, 2016, 08:19:37 am »
 I have an idea to make american flags using walnut for the normaly blue background for the white stars.  I have a leather tooling tool the shape of a 3/8" star that I use with a sharp blow to put an indent into the walnut.  I then fill that void with baby powder mixed with white glue and it looks great until, after it dries and I sand off the surface the walnut dust gets into the white.  Same results by scraping instead of sanding.  I have done things like this a lot with great results but using white seems not to work for me.  I have tried using exoxy or finishing resin but they become pretty dark looking, even before sanding.

Does anone have any ideas to solve this problem?  A different material?  A different glue? All I can think of, I have tried, but others may have a better idea/solution.

Yes  I am here to pick your brain.
20"Hegner Polymax-3 (2008)
25"Hegner Multimax-3 (1986)

No PHD, just a  DD 214

Offline don in brooklin on

• View Profile
Re: FIlling voids with a contrasting color.
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 09:47:37 am »
Hi Jim

Have you tried FIMO clay.  You have to bake it to make it hard.  I have tried other colours like yellow and never had any discoloration when sanding.

Steve has a couple of articles on his blog that I lifted a pic from his blog that shows white

Don

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 11:24:03 am »
I agree with using the clay.  I've not had a problem with discoloration after it is baked .  You can get it online or at Michaels.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 07:38:48 pm »
Thanks........... I will try the clay at Michaels.

No PHD, just a  DD 214

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 11:21:03 pm »
I don't know if they sell it or not but a colored acrylic? Or maybe mix a dab of paint in it to color then put that into the seam let it dry since being acrylic its going to be like a plastic so nothing should discolor it. Would try test pieces first. Don't know if they sell acrylic like this in a form to use in small amounts or how it would be mixed or melted to be able to make use of it.

Or might have to add something to the powder glue mixture that wouldn't let the walnut sawdust stick to it. But allwo the lines to stand out.

Offline Jim-78028

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 06:25:32 am »
I used to do faux inlay, I am not good enough to real inlay.

There is a product, comes in a container like a pint size milk carton, that is water putty for wood work.  It dries white, says you can stain it but I have not had luck with that aspect.  Sands like wood and is hard as a rock.

Just mix the powder with water to a consistency like oatmeal, and pour it in, sand it flush.

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 09:44:51 am »
I used to do faux inlay, I am not good enough to real inlay.

There is a product, comes in a container like a pint size milk carton, that is water putty for wood work.  It dries white, says you can stain it but I have not had luck with that aspect.  Sands like wood and is hard as a rock.

Just mix the powder with water to a consistency like oatmeal, and pour it in, sand it flush.
     Sounds interesting.  I wonder what it is called or where to get it.

No PHD, just a  DD 214

Offline Jim-78028

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2016, 05:53:49 am »
Jim
DAP Water Putty Wood Patch  by Plastic wood

Home Depot carries it

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2016, 06:34:39 pm »
I got some polymer clay at Michael's today and tried it out.  It worked very well for me.  Thanks for all the help.

No PHD, just a  DD 214

Offline Hawkdave

• Adelaide, Australia.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2016, 05:45:10 am »
Hi Jim, you could use a baking soda and super glue finish. This would stay white and give you a durable finish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slCMkvEfK_U

Dave.
My parents must have been psychic, as a child they were always telling me to 'Cut It Out'. So they knew a long time ago that I would become a scroll saw artist.

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2016, 08:32:01 am »
Hi Jim, you could use a baking soda and super glue finish. This would stay white and give you a durable finish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slCMkvEfK_U

Dave.

Super glue?  never thought of that.  I need to try that.  Thanks for your input.

No PHD, just a  DD 214

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2016, 03:16:06 pm »
OK  Here is what I was trying to achieve.  The Polymer clay worked well for this.
  Thank you all for your help.  In the future, I will pass on what I have learned here as my own idea....Haha.   Thanks again. 

P.S.  In mid June, I will offer this box for sale at the farmers marked I frequent, and if it sells I will make another.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 03:36:13 pm by Jim Finn »

No PHD, just a  DD 214

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2016, 12:11:45 pm »
That turned out very nice indeed.  I was hoping you would share the final project with us.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline Dennis123

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2016, 08:48:47 pm »
This may be a little late looking at how nice your flag turned out but, here's a link to a video that shows an inlay being done with a product called Timber Mate and CA Glue that looks like it would work well for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvFb9WNacbU

Dennis

SMF

Teknoromi