Author Topic: dewalt 788 type 2  (Read 3569 times)

cowboysfanatic

dewalt 788 type 2
« on: November 23, 2015, 09:34:11 pm »
Are these saws finally as good as the type 1 788? Want one bad enough I can taste it but scared I get a stinker

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
Re: dewalt 788 type 2
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 10:25:34 pm »
All I have had is a Type 2 so I do not have a comparison.  I have heard that the quality has been getting better however I have no direct evidence of it.  Unless you are ready to shell out considerably more for a Excaliber a Dewalt in my opinion will do nicely unless you are going into production work then I would spend more on the next level up from the Dewalt.

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 09:46:35 am »
My Dewalt 788 has made a LOT of saw dust and is doing just fine, even with the amount of "production" work that I do.  I had an Excaliber for a while and went right back to the Dewalt.
I'm from North Dakota

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 10:15:16 am »
I have been using a De Walt 788 type 2 for at least 7 years and never had a problem with it.
There may have been some problems with a few in the past but, I keep thinking that some people will complain if they get hung with a new rope also.
No news travels as fast or as far as BAD news does.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline Bill Wilson

• View Profile
    • Blazin' Blades Scrollers of Western PA
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015, 03:00:20 pm »
Mine is a type 2 that I've had for at least 10 years.  I didn't know of all the problems until after I had used it for some time, then I started reading poor reviews on the forums.  I nervously waited for mine to develop some of the reported issues, but other than the flaky on/off switch, mine has been pretty much trouble free.  I don't think having a type 2 was ever a guarantee that you would have problems, just like having a type 1 never meant you would be immune to them.  Our club owns a type 1 and I wouldn't trade 2 of them for my type 2.  I don't like the way that particular saw cuts and if I had used it before I bought mine, I probably would not have bought a DeWalt in the first place.  That said, I think the issues were/are real and would prefer to test drive a new DeWalt before plunking down the cash to buy one.  If I were buying a new saw today to replace my DeWalt, I would probably lean very heavily toward an Excalibur.  JMHO
Nobody ever worked so hard that milk squirted out of their nose.

cowboysfanatic

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 08:53:21 pm »
Thank u all for the good advice it's much appreciated. ...keep scrollin everyone

Offline yyyyyguy

• yyyyyguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2015, 11:24:27 am »
I bought a Type 2 about 3 yrs. ago, first one I got blade wobble was so bad I returned it.  The new one was just as bad and haven't done much intricate cutting since, just wobbles back and forth like crazy.  Hope yours is better   :-[

My first saw was a Dremel...wish I still had it.
I love the smell of saw dust in the morning.

cowboysfanatic

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2015, 02:42:24 pm »
WELL I HAVE ONLY CUT WITH MY 788 A LITTLE STILL GETTING USE TO IT BUT SO FAR SO GOOD. BUT IT IS NIGHT AND DAY DIFFERENCE COMPAIRED TO MY CRAFTSMAN NOT KNOCKING MY CRAFTSMAN BUT DIFFERENCE BETWEEN ENTRY LEVEL AND A HIGHER GRADE SAW.

SMF

Teknoromi