Author Topic: Whirlygig... first one.... problems  (Read 1495 times)

Offline Lorace

• View Profile
Whirlygig... first one.... problems
« on: August 30, 2015, 10:45:00 pm »
I'm making my first whirligig.   have it all cut out,  painted and ever sprayed it.  but going nuts on trying to bend the
rod.    I did not get a kit.  and is there a easy way to do it?    I'm making the mule that kicks the shoer...  or who ever the man is.
Thanks Lorace...     thinking I might order one from Cherrytree,  and just hope it works.

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
Re: Whirlygig... first one.... problems
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 03:48:45 am »
Depending upon what you are using for the rod and if you have a vise handy will depend on how easy the rod will be to bend.  You actually do not need a vise, you could use a couple of pair of channellock pliers ( these lock on to the thing you apply them to and then you have something to work against).  Personally if you are using a brass rod it should be soft enough to do the bending with channel locks.

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

Offline herrwood

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 08:06:35 am »
LIke DW said the rod should be easy to bend if no vice then you could use the end of a table (do not let wife see this) or a stair step most anything that has a 90 degree. If is too hard to bend hit it with a hammer on the top end and it should conform to the angle you are bending it on.

Offline Lorace

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 04:39:21 pm »
Thank you for the advice, going to work on it this afternoon,  I picked up a rod today I hope will work.

P.s. funny what I can get away with.... and hubby is not allowed to do... lol
Lorace

SMF

Teknoromi