Author Topic: Computer Problems  (Read 8505 times)

Offline edward

• View Profile
    • eds scrollwork
Computer Problems
« on: July 03, 2015, 10:00:03 pm »
Does anyone know of a good good program to buy, as my computer has been very slow, and freezing, sluggish at times, don't really want to take it to the shop. any help would be appreciated.  thanks  edward

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
Re: Computer Problems
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2015, 12:14:38 pm »
Edward,
Question for you.  Is this sluggish behavior recent or long term?  If you have a Windows machine you might be able to use one of the earlier restore points that the computer makes to restore the computer back to before it started to do this.  It will not destroy your information just roll back to a time before the computer started to act wonky. 

You need to see if you have any hard drive space left.  Your computer uses your hard drive space as a kind of extra memory and if the hard drive is all full then it has to wait for the normal memory to empty a bit before it can proceed, this can cause your sluggish and freezing behavior.

Another thing to check is to get a program that detects and disinfects your system from programs called malware.  Essentially these are unwanted programs that while mostly benign can clog up your computer.  You can get a decent but free anti malware program form the link ---> https://www.malwarebytes.org/mwb-download/.  Install it or a program like it and run it.  It might do the trick for you.

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

Offline edward

• View Profile
    • eds scrollwork
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2015, 01:28:48 pm »
I tried to restore it before, but won't let me take it  back to an earlier time, also I have Malware installed on the computer.  edward

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2015, 01:25:17 am »
Put your computer into safe mode and re run both the virus scanner as well as the malware scanner.  Doing this will give you a decent chance of getting anything that is stealthy.  Since you can not or was not able to use a previous restore point your options are rather limited unless you know someone that is decent at IT and is close by. 

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

Offline me5269

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2015, 09:12:00 am »
I also use malwarebytes. I also periodically run a free program, adwcleaner.
- Mike

Offline edward

• View Profile
    • eds scrollwork
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2015, 02:45:15 pm »
Dw I a;ready have that on my computer, and ewally doesn't help.  edward

Offline Bobby

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2015, 06:16:31 pm »
The best software to sort hidden malware and trojans is Combofix, it takes a while but highly recommended, here is the link
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/combofix/dl/12/

gkas

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2015, 03:41:40 am »
The best way to both speed up the pc and get rid of malware is to:
1. Save all user data (pictures, etc) and program data (install programs, etc).
2. Full format of drive.
3. Reinstall Windows.
4. Reinstall user programs and data.

Now your programs will run faster and you have no malware. Backup up your system before you try this.

Offline edward

• View Profile
    • eds scrollwork
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2015, 03:45:32 pm »
Tannks for the combacks, had to put the comouter in  the shop, seems to be a hard drive problem., hopefully will get it back tomorrow.  edward

Offline spiderman

• Spiderman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2015, 07:58:02 pm »
Tannks for the combacks, had to put the comouter in  the shop, seems to be a hard drive problem., hopefully will get it back tomorrow.  edward

I would get the Vipre internet security 2015
and the fixmestick at www.fixmestick.com or you do like me and get it from www.hsn.com. the fixmestick is a usb antivirus that runs off the usb stick. Works great for the virus that get pass the anti-virus software.

soemthing to think about getting both of them are great in getting rid of the virus the both vipre internet security 2015 and the fixmestick I have lifetime updates and software updates for the life of the computer. On hsn is where I got the vipre internet security 2015 and I got the 10 pcs lifetime protection and 3 lifetime protection of the fixmestick. I run the fixmestick once a month. and the fixmestick is not a replacement for the antivirus software both antivirus software the fixmestick is hand in hand.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 04:17:57 am by spiderman »
SPIDERMAN THE KING OF THE WEB

Offline Bobby

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2016, 10:16:10 am »
The best way to both speed up the pc and get rid of malware is to:
1. Save all user data (pictures, etc) and program data (install programs, etc).
2. Full format of drive.
3. Reinstall Windows.
4. Reinstall user programs and data.

Now your programs will run faster and you have no malware. Backup up your system before you try this.
??? The only problem with this solution is the malware and or viruses will be in the data and programs you reinstall

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2016, 11:48:33 am »
You might think about replacing the computer if it's more than 3 years old. This seems drastic, but I could kick myself for not doing that a year ago. I got a new laptop for business use and it is incredible. 10 seconds from power-on to the Windows interface. I use Norton 360 on my machines. It's a little expensive but can be installed on multiple PCs (I think it allows up to 5). The best thing is my sister-in-law got one of mine infected. I called Norton and they spent about 1 hour cleaning it up at no charge.

I also got a Chromebook last year for travel use. That is a slick machine. It doesn't do everything exactly like Windows does, but they are very inexpensive (<$200), very light (2 lbs) and the battery lasts 10 hours. The Google office apps are free, so if you don't need to interface with Microsoft Office from other people, if you mostly browse and write a few letters and some spreadsheets, the Chromebook is an excellent option. My 7 year old grand-niece is getting a Chromebook from the local school for 2nd grade - I guess it's cheaper than buying books and functions fine for their needs.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline spiderman

• Spiderman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2016, 04:18:33 am »
so what is the update on your computer dude

Offline spiderman

• Spiderman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2017, 07:54:46 pm »
Does anyone know of a good good program to buy, as my computer has been very slow, and freezing, sluggish at times, don't really want to take it to the shop. any help would be appreciated.  thanks  edward

It sounds like you need to do a clean windows install on that computer and reinstall all drivers and all windows updates and reinstall all software on that computer that you use. Backup your personal files before doing a clean windows install. This will make your computer run like new again.  By install more software on that computer will just make your computer run slow and slower.  By reformat the hard drive and do a reinstall of windows this will make your computer run fast like new again. What version of windows do you have.  If you have windows 10 install on that computer I would down grade back to windows 7 pro.  There been to many updates with tons of bugs in it.  And windows 10 is not ready for prim-time yet.  Windows 7 has about two more years of support from Microsoft until the year 2020.  What model is your computer and is it a laptop or a desktop.   

I'm A+ certified computer tech.
been doing this for about 28 years now.

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2017, 10:57:01 pm »
If you get a new computer what are you wanting? laptop or desktop? Me if going laptop get a HP, I had a dell and about 2 years of using it the screen messed up would really dark could barely see the screen had to use a external moniter. I now have a HP and love it, its about 4-5 years old still runs great and still runs pretty fast. I ordered straight from HP to get the latest software and hardware, its what I was told by a computer guru. For desktop same thing go HP, my other half has a HP desktop and still runs great, no issues and its about as old as my laptop. I also had a HP desktop before going laptop's that lasted about 6 years before starting having hardware issues and it crashing and got too slow.

SMF

Teknoromi