Author Topic: Top or bottom feed  (Read 3023 times)

Offline Dakota Saw Dust

• Sioux Falls, South Dakota, USA
    • View Profile
Top or bottom feed
« on: April 19, 2015, 02:53:07 pm »
This old dog picked up a new trick [for me]. I have always been a top feeder. But I learned a new "trick" I was cutting a small frog clock from 1/2" pine and it had some of those single line interior cuts. I hate drilling a larger entry just so I can bottom feed a FD blade with it's top blade crimp. But I was able to top feed AND use the recommended hole size. Then low and behold when I wanted to switch from a flat blade to spiral, I found it much easier to top feed. I just had to teach this old dog how to connect the blade under the table. My point sometimes mixing things up can be good.   Brian 

Offline Wooden Lace

• View Profile
Re: Top or bottom feed
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 01:52:19 am »
I prefer to top feed, and I do when I use the DeWalt, which is most of the time.  With the Excalibur, I bottom feed and it works OK for narrow projects but is kind of a pain with wider projects. 

Top feeding also works best when there are some tiny holes that are part of the design, and not to be cut out.  From the bottom you can't see the pattern to know which holes are blade entry holes and which are purely decorative.  I made a perfume tray once that had about 30 of the tiny holes, and it sure was easier top feeding.

Nancy from Washington state
I'd give up chocolate, but I'm no quitter!

pddesertrat

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 10:05:38 am »
I try and try to top feed but it just not work out for me, so far.  Seems to me it should be easier, but when I try it, I bend the blade 90% of the time.

Wooden Lace, why do you not top feed with your Excalibur?  I would think it would be easier to top feed with than the DeWalt, the upper arm raises higher.

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 11:19:22 am »
I have always been a bottom feeder because, even though I can use my right hand if I can see what it is doing, I have no feeling in it so can't find the blade clamp underneath. I use a PVC pipe with slots to change blades.
I'm from North Dakota

Offline Wooden Lace

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 12:02:25 am »
Hi again,  I don't top feed with the Ex because you have to actually push the arm down.  That takes one hand, and the other to guide the blade, which doesn't leave me a hand to make sure the blade doesn't hit the bottom blade clamp and bend...just like the other guys problem.  The Ex isn't bad for small projects though, so

With the DeWalt, I don't even pick the workpiece up between holes, just scoot it over to the next hole, feed the blade through the hole and let down gently.  Much easier for me.  Now that I bought the new bottom blade clamps for both DeWalts, and know how to keep them from getting ruined again, I think the Ex is just going to be decoration on the bench! It just cuts SO slowly, and I hate having to change out the silly little plastic flip knob, even though I lubricate it.

Not to mention that large knob in the back....it's never in the same position twice!  Sometimes I've left the saw after finishing a cut and come back the next morning and it's moved so much the blade doesn't even reach to the bottom blade clamp.  I don't need the aggrevation. If I had known then how to fix the DeWalts, I never would have bought the EX.

On a happier note, I did a show 2 weeks ago and Keith Fenton's word art plaques were a big hit!

pddesertrat

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 10:50:41 am »
Wooden Lace, sounds like there is something wrong with you Excalibur.  I have had mine a year, done lots of scroll with it and have not replaced the my tension lever yet.  I set the tension with the back tension knob once in a while when I switch from one type/size blade, but rarely.  It never moves in between times and it shouldn't.  You can adjust the upper arm so it will stay up by itself or will not stay up at all.  The instructions for that adjustment are in the manual.  Have you ever talked to Ray at Seyco about the tension on your Excalibur?  He may be able to help you out. 

I had a DeWalt for several years, good saw but after I purchased my Ex I sold my DeWalt, because I liked the EX better.  But different strokes for different folks.  I do think if might be worth your trouble to talk to Ray thought. At least get the EX working as it should so you have a good backup to your DeWalt if you need it.

Offline Wooden Lace

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2015, 11:05:10 am »
You're right that some people will naturally like one saw better than the other, and many times what we start with is our "normal" and preferred saw.  That being said, to me, the Ex is just annoying...especially the fact that the table wasn't machined flat.  There are high spots around the edges and the wood drags on them.  Also drags where the wood has worn through the shiny finish.  I realize I use my saws a lot, sometimes 5 hours a day, but I still thought it would hold up better than it has.

Thanks for the info, but I did know that the EX could be adjusted to not stay up, but don't really want to keep changing it back and forth. Ray says the back tension knob shouldn't move, but I can watch it during the day as I work, and it's constantly moving, usually in a clockwise motion.

For a back-up to my DeWalt, I'll just use the other DeWalt.  Works for me.

Offline trackman

• Always a good day to fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2015, 10:05:37 pm »
Have had my EX for 5 years and set the back knob one time never moves.  Lower arm one hand put blade into hole with other and as it starts into the hole move hand to bottom clamp to guide it.  I can change holes in about 3 sec after you get use to it.  Just my 2 cents worth.  Also agree you should check with Ray sounds like you got a bad table from factory.  My table is flat all the way around.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 10:11:02 pm by trackman »

Offline apopj

• I support the THIN BLUE LINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2015, 09:28:27 pm »
Hello all,

I just recently started top feeding, and it has shown to be so much easier than trying to crank my neck over to find the tiny hole amongst all the others on the bottom of the pattern. The EX holds the blade up far enough that I can slide my workpiece over and then lower it to the table. I place the workpiece over the hole so Idon't have to tie up one hand holding it, with the free hand, I guide the blade away from the bottom holder until it is fully through. With the DeWalt, I do the same, use my right hand to release the holder, and guide it down, and feed the blade. Once it is in the hole, I go underneath to guide it to the blade holder. Simple either way, but think the EX is a bit easier for me.
As far as blade tension, I agree that if you don't put the blade in exactly the same place each time, the tension on the EX will change. After years of scrolling, I  get it right only once inna while, so I adjust the tension quite often. The DeWalt wins on this one.....
Cut once...period

SMF

Teknoromi