Author Topic: Large item clamping press  (Read 1374 times)

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
Large item clamping press
« on: February 28, 2015, 07:36:11 am »
I am working on a clamp / press for making bowls and banks and boxes.  I had some left over water well pipe so I made a stand.  The idea is to make a press that would be somewhat like one of those 20 ton bearing presses at Harbor Freight, but who needs 20 ton of pressure for wood hehe.  So I drilled holes in the well pipe ( point E ) and put a removable cross bar between the pipes on both sides.  I was able to get on the cheap some cut off stair tread ( point C ) that was being tossed at Home Depot.  I planed both pieces flat and marked one upper and one lower.  I purchased 2 5/8 in all thread that were 48 inches long and cut them in half.  (Point A ).  I drilled 1 inch holes in the four corners of the stair tread pieces and bolted the all thread to it.  I then sleeved the all thread with some 1 inch pvc piping.  The whole upper section is raised and lowered with an old ( 40 years ) scissor jack that I had laying around not using.  This is still very much a work in progress however it does show promise.

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
Re: Large item clamping press
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 11:19:41 am »
Interesting.  Keep us posted.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline waxman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 06:24:24 pm »
Very creative, should work well.

Offline spirithorse

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 07:42:34 pm »
Nicely done, DW,
Thanks for sharing and God Bless! Spirithorse

SMF