Author Topic: Sanding mop set up  (Read 2958 times)

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
Sanding mop set up
« on: February 20, 2015, 01:26:12 pm »
Here is how I use my sanding mop. No flying dust. the "catcher is just a container from Walmart with a hole cut to fit the nozzle attachment which I glued into the hole that I cut to fit it.  it is clipped to a stool that has an appropriate size board attached. I clip a towel between the container and the board and let it drape down to catch anything that gets away from me. 
I'm from North Dakota

Offline Dakota Saw Dust

• Sioux Falls, South Dakota, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Sanding mop set up
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 07:10:55 pm »
Picture is worth 1,000 words. Thanks for the "how you do it" Brian

Offline tommyb43

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 05:41:24 am »
Memo to self (Listen to the lady and stop cleaning up 10 times a day)

My drill press is in a corner so why didn't i think of doing that  :o.

Thanks Judy Regards Tom

mlwmerk

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 10:03:59 am »
Great idea for using plastic storage tubs. 

Now that I've seen your idea, is it OK, and I assume it is, to copy the idea and expand upon it.  I too have a drill press that I mount my sanding mop on and I am not satisfied with the dust pickup. 

Also, I'm thinking about using your idea with my sliding miter saw.  That baby sure spits the chips all over.  The plastic tub idea is sure better than trying to make dust, chips catchers from plywood. 

Now that you mention it, perhaps plastic milk jugs can be adapted to "Big Gulp" use, after the milk is used up of course.

Thanks for sharing.  I especially like the way you use your "Shop Mate" as a holder for your drill.  Creativity goes a long way, doesn't it.

Walter in CT

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 10:42:05 am »
Glad you like my dust collection system.  I also use it when I am sanding blanks. I just move the container and vac to the sanding table.   Here is how I use the idea in the house with milk carton idea :)  The jug is cut to fit the end of the sander.  It is held up by a doll stand with a weight on it.  That way I can raise or lower it as needed.
I'm from North Dakota

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2015, 04:05:44 pm »
Judy great idea. One Q why can't you use your dust port on the sander, your sander dust port is at the bottom a little different to mine.
Mine is at the top where it comes of the belt and the disc on yours I can't see but probably to right and at the bottom.
Just saying I could be wrong I have before.

***Merlin***
Try not! Do,
or do not
There is no try

Yoda "Empire Strikes Back" 1980

SMF

Teknoromi