Author Topic: hypothetical but could be possibility  (Read 4802 times)

Offline seadog852

• View Profile
hypothetical but could be possibility
« on: February 13, 2015, 08:05:26 pm »
Company I work for is venturing into making things out of wood. I've been heading up our simple projects but with other factors taking place, our company is looking for a larger building.
I've asked if they could incorporate a larger workshop. So with this possibility, I started running scenarios in my head. This isn't happening for sure, its all speculation, but wonder what you would do if you were approached.

Company comes to you and says they are giving you a bigger workshop and $10k to furnish it with tools.  What do you get and what brand? go! :)

pddesertrat

Re: hypothetical but could be possibility
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 09:06:08 pm »
Kinda depends on what I was going to make.  Main tool to me in a wood shop is the table saw.  I would not skimp on that.  Good drill press, good band saw, good dust collection.... $10k almost gone.  Maybe a planner, jointer and a good shaper or router set up.

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 09:30:17 pm »
I'll give you a list of tools but, as far as brand, I have no comment. Every major tool brand excels in one or two (or a few more) basic tools and no one brand does them all. You will just have to do some research by talking to other wood workers and join in on any of several woodworking sites on line.
AND, I WILL TELL YOU THIS, every response is going to recommend a different brand. but, These days most big brands make good tools. Price will inter into your decisions and I will remind you that in MOST cases, you get what you pay for. 

As far as basic tools...

work bench
table saw
band saw
planer
jointer
drum sander
osculating spindle sander
drill press and a set of bits
router and bits
electric hand sanders
hand drill
cordless screwdrivers
Well, the list goes on and on.
And as far as hand tools....well, I just don't have time for that!

So much depends on what you are building and if you are going into production in large numbers or one-offs.

Have fun and keep us informed along the way.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Graywolf

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 08:35:14 pm »
For a company to do this 10K isn't near enough. Sounds to me they aren't very interested. JMO

Offline seadog852

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 12:35:54 pm »
it's a non profit organization that trains people with mental and physical disabilities for public work. Not a lot of money to throw out, if they do anyway.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 01:28:26 pm »
I would explain the situation to various vendors and see if you could come up with donations, demonstration equipment, etc.
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 05:53:34 pm »
if you want a real wow factor, look into the laser cutters and some pattern software. I know we're scrollers here, but for a business needing productivity, it's hard to beat those CNC cutters. The cost is below $2k and will kick out near-perfect duplicate parts in minutes and for pennies.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 10:45:11 am »
My personal opinion is to decide just what you will be producing first, and then base your purchases of tools on that decision.  You can always add things if they become necessary, but if you just setup a general woodshop, you may find that some tools go unused while others that would have been important went un-purchased.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline seadog852

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 08:21:36 pm »
lots of good ideas here. thank you!  We've actually looked into the lasers. They are expensive. I'd like to know where you saw 2k? the cheapest one we found is 8k.  Would agree the prime would be table saw, ban saw, planer, drill press. Would be  good start anyway. :)

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2015, 02:58:32 pm »
Before a planer you likely need a jointer to get a flat surface to plane against.

There was an article, I thought in Scrollsaw Woodworking magazine that reviewed laser cutters but there was a lot of complaint by the readers (they are scrollers, not programmers, etc.). If I find it I'll send a link, but their search engine doesn't produce it - I suspect it was pulled.

You can Google or search in Amazon for Laser Cutters and see several that are low cost (<$1k). I don't have sense of their quality or reliability. I'm sure an $8k machine would be good. I'll look for a review and report back.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Lancaster Ohio
www.RMHayes.US

Offline seadog852

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2015, 11:08:32 pm »
had some company send out a brochure. cheap was 8k, most expensive was 40k.

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2015, 03:53:28 am »
ebay lists a bunch of 40 watt at <$500, then 50 watt at about $2000. I've seen some reviews of the 40 watt units that seem to indicate they work, but I'd bet the quality is not what you'd want for production work. Probably OK for prototypes or one-offs, and to learn the methods.

I also saw a kickstarter with a different design (LED Laser with no mirrors) that might be interesting.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Lancaster Ohio
www.RMHayes.US

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2015, 10:57:18 pm »
10k you could get some decent tools and machines to learn on, it doesn't have to be high end Jet, or Grizzly and such. Good stuff like dewalt or craftsman to learn on would be good enough I would think.

List would be a good workbenches, could get some old cabinets then solid doors to use for the tops, need basics, sanders, routers, wood chisels, hand tools, vises, clamps, drill bits and kits counter sink bits, bisket joiner. For machines table saw, band saw, jointer different from bisket joiner, planer, list goes on, this stuff does not have to be high end costly tools to learn on the basic of wood working. I took wood shop in middle school and the junk they had was unreal but we learned the basics on of woodworking and the how to use a tool and machine safely is what should matter. Most of that stuff you might find it used and spend less than 10k they alloted and use the rest to buy wood and materils like glue screws nails, and hand tools hammers and such.

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2015, 11:14:24 pm »
Personally I would get with the different tool manufacturers and see if they would be willing to help out by either donating or reducing the pricing for the equipment.  Especially if you were to do something like create a youtube channel where you worked with their tools and what not.

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2015, 01:37:15 am »
When asking for donations might even help sweeten it up telling them its for a non profit to teach the disabled about wood working they maybe more inclined to donate stuff.

SMF

Teknoromi