Author Topic: Shelf liner as pattern  (Read 1490 times)

Offline riverhoop

• View Profile
Shelf liner as pattern
« on: February 04, 2015, 12:11:11 pm »
I read that you could use shelf liner to print out a pattern on then attach it to your stock. I got the paper and printed a pattern on it but the ink smeared. Is there solution to that?
Thank You

pddesertrat

Re: Shelf liner as pattern
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 12:18:19 pm »
I do not know much about printers, but I know when I was doing decals for pens you had to use a certain type of printer to print them.  Maybe that is the case here.  Sorry I can't remember the type of printer.  I think it had to be a laser printer but not sure. 

Offline gramps

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 07:55:51 pm »
i had that problem also. what i did is i cut the contact paper to fit, attached it to the wood, then printed the pattern on paper and attached that to the contact paper with spray adhesive.
                                                    hope that helps, gramps

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 04:08:58 am »
You may be using a ink jet printer which tends to smear ink easy, you may need a laser jet printer. I use those avery full sheet shipping labels print and stick then cut, to remove I use a old hair dryer turn on low heat start heating it up using a razor knife get it to peel up then start peeling it off keeping the area I am peeling heated up and it peels right off. Just becareful the heat from that hair dryer can be hot and burn your hands, I use a pair of needle pliers to hold the patter as I am peeling it off till I get enough to use my hands with out getting hot. You can get a pack of 100 shipping labels on amazon for about 23 bucks, or go to a office place or even walmart and get a smaller pack of 10 for 4 bucks to try them out to see if it will work is what i did. Since then I veered away from the painter tape and glue.

Offline wedo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 01:55:04 pm »
using an ink jet printer without a clear coat on top will smear the ink as it is water soluble. Just use a lacquer clear coat in a spray can, let it dry for a few minutes and its  good to go. Dry, protected and no smears.
Bill

bolocarver

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2015, 05:26:22 pm »
Gramps is correct. I have been using shelf paper for years exactly like he said and have had great results. There is a paper out there that has the pull off on both sides. You cut your patter out of plain paper, cut a piece of the double sided contact paper to fit the pattern closely. Peel off one side and stick the pattern to it then peel off the other side and put it onto the wood. I bought two rolls of the stuff and stopped using it before I finished one roll. The stuff didn't stick to either the pattern or the wood well. Beside that, it was kind of pricy.
Hope this helps.

SMF

Teknoromi