Author Topic: Blade size?  (Read 2622 times)

Ben

Blade size?
« on: January 23, 2015, 11:37:28 pm »
Hi. I am new to scrolling and I have a Ryobi saw. the manual for my saw says 127mm (5 inch) blades, would it matter if I used 130mm plain end blades on my saw. is there a difference or?

Matthew Harper

Re: Blade size?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 08:20:50 am »
probably wouldn't matter for plain end blades. But most blades that you can buy are 5 inch, do you already own 130 mm or are you planning on buying some? btw mikesworkshop.com sells flying dutchman which is a great brand, and all the blades are 5 inches.

mlwmerk

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 10:16:36 am »
Matthew - good to see that you are jumping right in with advice already.  You are right on the mark.  Glad to see you participating as a young scrollsawer.  It seems that just a couple of short months ago you were a beginner asking for advice.  Keep up the good work.

Walt in CT

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 10:44:18 am »
If you are looking to buy plain end blades I would recommend Flying Dutchman from Mike at Mikes Workshop. Great prices and service. Flying Dutchman are all I use.  :)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Ben

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2015, 05:04:40 pm »
thanks everyone ill check them out.
I only have 2 blades that came with my saw, one pinned and one plain end.

Ben

Offline herrwood

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2015, 07:15:28 pm »
Have not used the flying dutch man blades yet , they are on my list to try. I have been using olson blades and do recommend them also.

Ben

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2015, 10:36:13 pm »
I purchased a 36 piece set of Olson blades on ebay. many different types of blades for under $20. all plain end blades

Ben

Offline busco

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2015, 05:58:41 pm »
I use the #3 FD UR and the #5 FD UR from Mike.  I didn't have much luck with the Olson blades.  Also if you buy from Mikes you'll get a great price and get them quick.  They are plane ended and also the new ones have a (for lack of a better term) a bump at one end to let you know easily which end is the top.

Ben

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2015, 06:14:56 pm »
I think ill give the Flying Dutchman blades a go next time. I mainly bought the Olson blades to have a go at some of different types there are, also it seemed like a good deal for the amount and type of blades in the pack.

thanks everyone for the advice

Offline sawdust703

• to soon old, to late smart
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2015, 09:27:38 am »
Go to woodenteddybear.com & check out the blade selection there. They sell both Olsen & FD. I recommend both, and each brand has their quirks. Good luck!
Sawdust703(Brad)

Offline gordster

• Nova Scotia, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2015, 10:07:56 am »
I use Olsen blades also, they are reverse type, so when it slows down I turn it over and get a few more good cuts.I haven! t used FD yet but will sometime.....Isn't it funny sometimes when a blade breaks how it scares the crap out of you.
Gordie

SMF

Teknoromi